New to Austin, and looking to go fishing

Julio R

New to Austin, and looking to go fishing

Post by Julio R »

Hey all,

My wife and I recently moved to Austin from Baltimore, and I’m still trying to figure out how fishing works down here in TX. I know I need a license, but apparently there are places where I can go fishing without one. However, I’m still confused about what places are ok to fish without a license. Would anyone be able to give me all this info?

Thanks all!
Blue Devil 7

Re: New to Austin, and looking to go fishing

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Welcome! You can fish without a license in TX state parks, or in tanks (stock ponds) contained on private property. Any other public water, even if fishing from the bank on private property, and you will need a license
Julio R

Post by Julio R »

Awesome! Thank you! Would you, or anyone, happen to know if Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin is technically a state park?
Mattmartin817

Post by Mattmartin817 »

As far as I know it is not a state park. If you are in the mood to drive about an hour and change to the east you can fish Fayette Lake (also not a state park), just outside of La Grange TX. It's a pretty good bass lake, not so much for catfish though.
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Lady Bird is definitely not a state park. Really, the state parks with any decent fishing are sparse around Austin. You'll be much better off just buying a license if you want to fish around here.
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

Blue Devil 7 wrote:You'll be much better off just buying a license if you want to fish around here.
If you buy a regular fishing license you need to be aware that the license will expire on August 31, 2018.

Your other option is to buy a "Year-from-Purchase" fishing license that will be valid for 12 months from date of purchase.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outd ... s-packages
Julio R

Post by Julio R »

Thanks everybody! I was walking around downtown and saw some kids fishing, they told me I could fish down there without a license, and I wanted to verify so I don’t get in trouble. I’m glad I asked you all. They must’ve been confused and might’ve told me about the under 18 policy. Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. Kinda wish I could just fish without a license somewhere, at least till I can get as a resident of the state. I think I need to have lived here for at least 3 months or something. Would anyone know if that’s right or wrong? Thanks!
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

Texas Resident Licenses

A RESIDENT is a person who has lived continuously in Texas for more than six months immediately before applying for a license. Members of the United States Armed Forces (and their dependents) on active duty anywhere are entitled to purchase a resident license, but the Texas Resident Active Duty Military “Super Combo” package is available to Texas residents only.

The term "active duty" means full-time duty in active military service, including the National Guard and Reserves of the United States. Such term includes full-time training duty and attendance while in the active military service at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary of the military department concerned. Non-residents under 17 years of age are designated as residents for hunting license purposes (not valid for Lifetime Licenses).

Residency is proven by any three of the following (all documents must reflect the applicant's name and a physical address in Texas). Items marked with a * must have been issued at least six months prior to license or permit application. Except for a valid drivers license or a state issued identification card, documentation is not required at time of purchases or while hunting or fishing:

- a current Texas homestead property tax statement
- the most recent six months of utility bills
- the most recent six months of paycheck receipts
- the person’s most recent tax return from the Internal Revenue Service
- a statement from a parole board or probation officer stating that the person has continuously resided in Texas for the six
months immediately preceding the application for a license or permit
- a valid Texas driver's license*
- a current Texas voter registration certificate*
- a current vehicle registration*