Looking For Someone (Or a Group) to Hunt Reds With

theletterandrew

Looking For Someone (Or a Group) to Hunt Reds With

Post by theletterandrew »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and saltwater fishing in general.

I live in the Baytown area and so far I've tried McCollum Park (no luck- twice) and Anahuac NWF (caught a baby red).

I was hoping someone might take pity on a newbie and show me the ropes. Most of my fishing experience has been freshwater so far. I'm open to anywhere within 2 hours or so from me.

Another question while I have your ear: where do the big reds hang out this time of the year?
IDIVEMIKE

Re: Looking For Someone (Or a Group) to Hunt Reds With

Post by IDIVEMIKE »

I'm in the same boat as the OP here. I'm in the Clear Lake area.

Been out a bit but not with any solid results. Also, I don't know many other kayakers.

OP- on the 8th there is a kayak fishing get together. It was supposed to be last weekend but got rescheduled due to weather.

here is the info on the event and the reschedule.

https://www.facebook.com/TexasRedfishHu ... 33821977:0
https://www.facebook.com/TexasRedfishHu ... 66292627:0
theletterandrew

I'll be headed to that event. Thanks for the idea.
crusher

Post by crusher »

You both might want to look in to PACK or the fairly new Pearland area kayak fishing clubs. You can attend a meeting without joining - just sit, listen to presentations, and meet a couple guys.
Many of us don't gain much skill at finding the fish until a fair amount of failure first. Keep notes - wind, tides, solunar, where you went etc. One day you'll do good - see what was different than before, rinse and repeat.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

I was in your shoes last year at this time. I've learned a lot since then and I'd be happy to show you some good spots and techniques. Message me.
IDIVEMIKE

Post by IDIVEMIKE »

just ordered the red fish marsh DVD form trout support. I'm going to study that a but and then try some more. My schedule to fish is limited.

Lahai1dj I may get in touch with you eventually.

Right now I'm looking forward to the 8th!
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

So y'all want to catch some RED FISH huh? Well you're in luck. We catch the hell out of them this time of the year and then it gets insane before fall. BULL REDS are off the beach year round just cruise over to the BTB board and watch for someone posting up a trip....usually High Island or Crystal Beach. I hope you like them BIG cause that's all we catch. See ya on the beach.
theletterandrew

LOOKN4REDS wrote:So y'all want to catch some RED FISH huh? Well you're in luck. We catch the hell out of them this time of the year and then it gets insane before fall. BULL REDS are off the beach year round just cruise over to the BTB board and watch for someone posting up a trip....usually High Island or Crystal Beach. I hope you like them BIG cause that's all we catch. See ya on the beach.
I don't know if I'm ready to go BTB in my yak just yet. I'm in a Perception Pescador 12.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

IDIVEMIKE wrote:just ordered the red fish marsh DVD form trout support. I'm going to study that a but and then try some more. My schedule to fish is limited.

Lahai1dj I may get in touch with you eventually.

Right now I'm looking forward to the 8th!
Good move! If you learn that video, backwards and forward, you will be way ahead of most of the folks who fish around you. You will be able to weed out bad areas, find good areas, and know what techniques to use to catch all the reds you want. Lean on others first hand knowledge whenever possible and you will be an old hand in no time!
torin.rosenbluh

Post by torin.rosenbluh »

If anyone is still looking to go out soon, let me know Im definitely looking for anyone who wants to go out soon.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I started out as a freshwater guy, too. Be careful. Once you get a taste of the salt, it is hard to go back (though I still visit the fresh from time to time).

First, I'd say stay away from McCollum Park (and Trinity Bay in general right now). It sucks, especially now that the freshwater has taken over Trinity. It will be a year (barring a flood or major rain event) before that bay salts up again. To check out real-time salinity, check this website out: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/o ... ty_nowcast. As you can see, most of Galveston Bay is purple right now, which means zero salinity:
Capture2.JPG
Purple is no bueno. [Moreover, McCollum Launch is hard to manage, and there is very little structure over there].

If you want to hunt reds in the marsh, then go to the marsh. Google Earth and Google Maps is your friend here. Here is what you are looking for. The red line shows a nice, deeper channel that will often hold fish, and is a nice drain to work when tides are moving.
Capture.JPG
These can be found all over our area. South Shoreline of East Bay, Titlum Tatlum bayou near San Luis Pass, North Galveston Bay (Greens Lake - it is a long paddle to/from the launch). Freeport Marsh (check out MDLR Fishing on Youtube - he hits those places at least once a week, it seems).

Although it can be a paddle, Greens Lake in West Bay (north shoreline) is a prime spot, especially in the fall when they are schooling up. If you have never seen schooling autumn reds, then check this out:

Good luck and have fun!
opgrass

Post by opgrass »

Anyone still looking for some company around Galveston let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldtownsean

Post by Oldtownsean »

I’m always down to go fishing!