New to kayaking

caleb27

New to kayaking

Post by caleb27 »

So I just got my first kayak and been testing it in my pond I no big body's of water are different but we're should I go for my first run live near Galveston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crusher

Re: New to kayaking

Post by crusher »

So I just got my first kayak and been testing it in my pond. I know big body's of water are different but where should I go for my first run? Live near Galveston

The easiest, safest launch in Galveston that I'd suggest is the State Park. There are three launch sites inside the park on the bay side. You can paddle around staying close to the launch, or go a little distance staying shallow and near the shoreline, or after you are confident you won't tip (turtle) you can cover some distance there. There are fish somewhere in the park area on most days assuming you want to fish, also.
Wear a life vest (PFD), and have a waterproof phone or VHF radio with you for safety. Make sure someone at home knows where you are going. These are the basic safety things we all (should) do.
Yak-n TX

Re: New to kayaking

Post by Yak-n TX »

crusher wrote:So I just got my first kayak and been testing it in my pond. I know big body's of water are different but where should I go for my first run? Live near Galveston

The easiest, safest launch in Galveston that I'd suggest is the State Park. There are three launch sites inside the park on the bay side. You can paddle around staying close to the launch, or go a little distance staying shallow and near the shoreline, or after you are confident you won't tip (turtle) you can cover some distance there. There are fish somewhere in the park area on most days assuming you want to fish, also.
Wear a life vest (PFD), and have a waterproof phone or VHF radio with you for safety. Make sure someone at home knows where you are going. These are the basic safety things we all (should) do.
I echo everything here 100%. It is also never a bad idea to have a buddy along to help if something goes wrong. If you'd like I'd be more than happy to meet up with you and do a little fishing.