Looking for fishing spots in Galveston County

kbrown1367

Looking for fishing spots in Galveston County

Post by kbrown1367 »

I recently purchased my first kayak and am looking forward to doing some fishing in the area. I've fished my whole life, but never from a kayak so I'm not familiar with these areas. Does anyone have any areas they care to share to help get me started? Thanks in advance! Hope to see you on in the water!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Looking for fishing spots in Galveston County

Post by kickingback »

Start out in an area that you can learn the kayak as well as fish. I suggest you try launching at the public ramp next to Fat Boy's Bait on 45. The area is mostly shallow and you can practice the currents and wind and be able to catch a few as well. try near the RR tacks bridges and along the bank for trout, reds and flounder.
Once you feel good about the yak then do some research for new areas to fish using the forums, Tides 4 Fishing, and Google Earth.
Good luck
kbrown1367

Post by kbrown1367 »

kickingback wrote:Start out in an area that you can learn the kayak as well as fish. I suggest you try launching at the public ramp next to Fat Boy's Bait on 45. The area is mostly shallow and you can practice the currents and wind and be able to catch a few as well. try near the RR tacks bridges and along the bank for trout, reds and flounder.
Once you feel good about the yak then do some research for new areas to fish using the forums, Tides 4 Fishing, and Google Earth.
Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out that area soon.

cphillips

Post by cphillips »

kbrown1367 wrote:I recently purchased my first kayak and am looking forward to doing some fishing in the area. I've fished my whole life, but never from a kayak so I'm not familiar with these areas. Does anyone have any areas they care to share to help get me started? Thanks in advance! Hope to see you on in the water!

Hi my name is Cody Phillips and I'm the owner of Galveston kayak charters. I've been fishing Texas coast for over 20 years now. If you're looking 2 have great experiences in the kayak, I would suggest fishing shallow Marsh ponds in the summer for redfish and mud an shell in the winter for speckled trout

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Just ask if you have any specific questions about the area before you go and many will chime in.
kbrown1367

Post by kbrown1367 »

cphillips wrote:
kbrown1367 wrote:I recently purchased my first kayak and am looking forward to doing some fishing in the area. I've fished my whole life, but never from a kayak so I'm not familiar with these areas. Does anyone have any areas they care to share to help get me started? Thanks in advance! Hope to see you on in the water!

Hi my name is Cody Phillips and I'm the owner of Galveston kayak charters. I've been fishing Texas coast for over 20 years now. If you're looking 2 have great experiences in the kayak, I would suggest fishing shallow Marsh ponds in the summer for redfish and mud an shell in the winter for speckled trout

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

kbrown1367

Post by kbrown1367 »

kickingback wrote:Just ask if you have any specific questions about the area before you go and many will chime in.
Really liking this community. Everyone is so helpful.

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I have a copy of Ray Crawford's Wade & Kayak Fishing on the Upper Coast of Texas. This is the original 225-page edition, with coverage of all available spots from Surfside to Sabine. I will sell this rare book for $15.00 plus $5.00 postage.

I also have a copy of Phil Shook's Flyfisher's Guide to Texas, a 429-page, 2008 edition, covering almost every lake, river and stream in Texas. I'll also sell it for $15.00, plus $5.00 postage. Or, both books for $25.00 and $5.00 postage.

The only reason I'm selling these rare books is because I don't flyfish and I don't fish the upper Texas coast.

Even if you don't buy my books, I'd certainly recommend finding them, if you're in need of this info.

TexasJim
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That's a great price for two great books! Get all of Ray Crawford's books if you can find them (3).
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

TexasJim wrote:I have a copy of Ray Crawford's Wade & Kayak Fishing on the Upper Coast of Texas. This is the original 225-page edition, with coverage of all available spots from Surfside to Sabine. I will sell this rare book for $15.00 plus $5.00 postage.

I also have a copy of Phil Shook's Flyfisher's Guide to Texas, a 429-page, 2008 edition, covering almost every lake, river and stream in Texas. I'll also sell it for $15.00, plus $5.00 postage. Or, both books for $25.00 and $5.00 postage.

The only reason I'm selling these rare books is because I don't flyfish and I don't fish the upper Texas coast.

Even if you don't buy my books, I'd certainly recommend finding them, if you're in need of this info.

TexasJim
pat murray wrote a decent book that covers galveston bay too (its called no-nonsense guide to saltwater fishing i think)
kbrown1367

Re: RE: Re: Looking for fishing spots in Galveston County

Post by kbrown1367 »

TexasJim wrote:I have a copy of Ray Crawford's Wade & Kayak Fishing on the Upper Coast of Texas. This is the original 225-page edition, with coverage of all available spots from Surfside to Sabine. I will sell this rare book for $15.00 plus $5.00 postage.

TexasJim
Man, I totally missed this post. You still want to sell these? I'm definitely interested. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Sorry, both sold months ago. TexasJim
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I'm always kayak fishing. Many people on here that know me will tell you that I do get out to fish quite a bit (I'm not sure how I am still married being that I fish so much, lol). If you want to get out, hit me up sometimes. 832-588-7091

The other thing you can do is check out PACK. http://www.packtx.org This is a kayaking organization that meets once a month. They have different guest speakers that speak on kayak fishing each month and the meetings are free. On top of that, this organization has been around forever and they do kayak outings as well. Check out the site and I hope to see you at one of the meetings. :)
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

when possible fish at or around the jetties on the beach side
Ramon13rh

Re: Looking for buddy to go fishing in Keith lake

Post by Ramon13rh »

I'm looking for a buddy to go fishing In Keith lake . I usually go by my self since I do not know any people that own kayaks
kbrown1367

Re: RE: Re: Looking for buddy to go fishing in Keith lake

Post by kbrown1367 »

Ramon13rh wrote:I'm looking for a buddy to go fishing In Keith lake . I usually go by my self since I do not know any people that own kayaks
Where is Keith lake?

kbrown1367

Re: RE: Re: Looking for fishing spots in Galveston County

Post by kbrown1367 »

Yakety_Yak wrote:I'm always kayak fishing. Many people on here that know me will tell you that I do get out to fish quite a bit (I'm not sure how I am still married being that I fish so much, lol). If you want to get out, hit me up sometimes. 832-588-7091

The other thing you can do is check out PACK. http://www.packtx.org This is a kayaking organization that meets once a month. They have different guest speakers that speak on kayak fishing each month and the meetings are free. On top of that, this organization has been around forever and they do kayak outings as well. Check out the site and I hope to see you at one of the meetings. :)
Thanks. I hope to get out soon. I'll give you a shout.