Cabela's reels and rods??

Newt556

Cabela's reels and rods??

Post by Newt556 »

Looking to re-equip myself and my 12yr old with a couple new spinning reels and rods.. I have 2 academy Mettle bait-casters and ethos rods which I am very pleased with so no need for bait-casters.

How are cabela's brand spinning reels and rods? Recommendations? One thing I like and I confirmed today with the Cabela's store manager is they will replace them no questions asked for life. Cant beat that.

Also if your planning on buying wait until the 10th or 12th of this month from what the guy working in the fishing department said, the prices will be almost half off on alot of the cabela models.
Tombo

Re: Cabela's reels and rods??

Post by Tombo »

Depends on the model. I have a Cabela's fly reel that has given me years of service and little down time. I had a lot of help from a knowledgeable gentleman at the Buda store. I guess that's the key.
Said salesman steered me away from a more expensive fly reel due to not being reliable in the salt.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

I have a Cabela's baitcaster that has been a workhorse this past year. And I would buy again.
Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

The Cabelas "whuppin stick" rods are their equivalent of ugly sticks. And they go on sale for half price fairly often. I have a few of them, nice rods, like an ugly stick with cork handle. I bought my niece a pair of the Cabelas ladies rods for $15 each ( half price). They seem like very nice rods.
Newt556

Post by Newt556 »

Went back by Cabelas today. Run into the same sales guy. Well he was wrong about the sales. But he did me right he honored the last sale prices that ended Wednesday and even offered to sale me things at the discount cabelas give their employees. So I got a Cabela's Salt Striker® Bait-feeder Spinning Reel 40 series $55, Pro guide spinning reel 1000 series $39, and a Cabela's Salt Striker® Inshore Spinning Reel 2500 series for $49.

When I got to the check out the manager brought me a coupon for $20 off my purchase. I never even talked with him and never complained about anything to anyone. Now that is service!! I dont think any other store can match cabela's service. I ended up out the door right at $133.

I am sorta new at Kayak fishing. So some advice would be welcomed.

I did want a 3000 series in the inshore reel and their inventory did show they had one but it couldn't be found. But after reading a few forums seems the 2500 series is ok for normal fresh water and inshore fishing. SO what rod should I use M or MH, would like to stay in the 6'6 length. This will be my main go to rod for most of my fishing. Still not to good with the bait caster's. I have two h20 express mettle bait casters. Both on ethos rods one 6'6 MH the other 7' MH. Like them but they are a nightmare to use still.

I am planning on putting the Bait feeder on a academy Ethos 6'10 MH rod for line 8-17#. Will this work out ok? Bought this reel mainly for catfish and strippers. Probably just do a couple trips to the coast a year. What Braid would be best, #, how many yards?

The 1000 reel I was thinking of getting a 6ft UL rod, a eagle claw or the Bass pro version. Any other suggestions? Looking at keeping this one cheap under $30. Would it be best to stay with mono on this rig or go up to 10 braid? Just for fun rod for blugills trout etc...