Renewed Interest in Fishing

Lumberyak

Renewed Interest in Fishing

Post by Lumberyak »

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for the better part of a year, just joined up recently because I wanted to get back into fishing. I mostly fished farm ponds growing up and did some bank fishing in high school and college. I recently picked up a Pescador 12 when Academy put them on sale this past Spring and am slowly outfitting it with goodies.

I'm in the Nacogdoches area so I'm fishing Naconiche and Nacogdoches mostly. I'm still very much in the learning process, so this forum has been an invaluable resource to me. Slimed my boat for the first time this morning at Lake Naconiche and man am I hooked. I'll be on the water as much as I can, hope to see some fellow TKF members out there!

JimBeaux

Re: Renewed Interest in Fishing

Post by JimBeaux »

Sweet. Hope you catch a lot more.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Get yourself good fishfinder, find crappies :-)
Lumberyak

Post by Lumberyak »

Funny you should say that, I rigged up my Lowrance Elite 4x (Father's Day, birthday, Christmas present all in one I'm told by my wife), the night before. This was my first trip with the ff installed and I was jigging for crappie when I caught that second bass. Caught it on a 1/8 oz jig on light spinning gear. Got the blood flowing for sure!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

2 days ago I got ~4lb blue cat when jigging for crappies. Both bass and occasional cats are mostly nuisance when you are after crappies :-)
Lumberyak

Post by Lumberyak »

Man I bet that blue put an unexpected tug on the line!
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Very nice fish.

I've often thought about bringing my yak when I go to Nac for work, and fish the afternoon on Lake Nacogdoches.
Lumberyak

Post by Lumberyak »

Thanks TigerLandSportsman. I've been on Lake Nacogdoches a few times in a jon boat. Haven't made it out there in my kayak yet. It's a lot more open water at the lower part of the lake where the boat ramps are. The north end has a good amount of flooded timber and underwater structure best I can remember. I pulled a few keepers out of the grass beds on the eastern shore when I was in school several years back. Best of luck to you if you ge a chance to make it out this way with your yak.