What to do when the spoon doesn't work

bobbyp2010

What to do when the spoon doesn't work

Post by bobbyp2010 »

I love my spoons. Gold spoon with a dab of pro cure mullet. This has produced a lot of fish for me. My question is for the other spoon guys out there. When do you take the spoon off and put something else on? When the spoon comes off, what goes on in it's place? I get the obvious answer, "when you aren't catching fish". I guess i'm trying to understand what conditions if any are not optimal to use a spoon and what should you switch to when they come up?
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: What to do when the spoon doesn't work

Post by MobyYack »

try dragging the bottom or dancing a jig headed plastic with a carolina rig or free lined so you fish the bottom of the water column instead of the middle or top (depending on how fast you fish your spoon)

adjusting the speed of the spoon could help too as well as switching from gold to silver
Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

Gulp on a popping cork. It's my last resort.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Try adding second spoon!
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Interesting how one fisherman catches his fish on spoons while others catch them on other types of baits. I never caught a fish on a spoon (shocker) but I have caught more than I can count on plastics, tops, and corkys. I may have to try a spoon!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I also have minimal luck with a spoon but folks around me catch with a spoon so I know it is my technique. A spoon just does not seem to fit my natural rhythm or something like that.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

When my spoon doesn't work -- I use fork! Saves me day everytime!