Fishing Clear Lake/West Bay/Moses Lake area

ksalter321

Fishing Clear Lake/West Bay/Moses Lake area

Post by ksalter321 »

Hello all. I'm a reasonably experienced fisherman taking up Kayak fishing. Dropped the boat in the water a few times to work on paddling, steering, controlling the boat, etc. and I will be ready to bring a pole the next time, but I'm not very knowledgeable about good spots in my area. I live in Dickinson so I'm minutes from Tiki Island area and West Bay. Also can easily get to Moses Lake and down to Galveston or Clear Lake. I've trolled fishing reports to get some ideas, but it's time to be more proactive. Where are some good launch/fishing areas by me? Not up to miles and miles of paddling yet, so would like some relatively easy paddles to start. (I'm trying paddle at least twice a week to build up some endurance.) Should I get a wade fishing map?

Thanks

Kevin
PerryB

Re: Fishing Clear Lake/West Bay/Moses Lake area

Post by PerryB »

TC Dike is easy access and you can fish along skyline drive. Or if your feeling up to it and not wanting to pay the access fee ($5 i think) to the dike you can go down Bay st. and access the levee there. Just have to drag the yak down to the water and back up to the road. GISP is another i use quite often. Dickinson bayou bridge off 146 is another if you want to access that area. You also have the spillway in San Leon. https://tailtailsigns.com/launch-points/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good reference with lots of launch points as well as the Hook-N-Line Maps.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

tiki island/causeway has been on fire at night...lots of speckled trout with a random red occasionally...launch at the public boat ramp near fat boys
ksalter321

Post by ksalter321 »

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm tubing this weekend, but will get the boat wet next weekend. Had a chance to fish under the causeway this past Saturday morning, but my girlfriend got me hammered Friday night and that trip went poof. Wonder if she snookered me?...... Anyway, he caught two keeper reds. Said he couldn't get the trout to take any plastic.

I'll be hitting that area next weekend.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

ksalter321 wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. I'm tubing this weekend, but will get the boat wet next weekend. Had a chance to fish under the causeway this past Saturday morning, but my girlfriend got me hammered Friday night and that trip went poof. Wonder if she snookered me?...... Anyway, he caught two keeper reds. Said he couldn't get the trout to take any plastic.

I'll be hitting that area next weekend.
be sure to post up and maybe ill join u
ksalter321

Post by ksalter321 »

Looking at the tide chart, Sunday 0300-0400 should be high activity so I'm planning a trip to the Causeway. Fat Boy's doesn't open until 0500, and I'm not getting up early enough to throw the cast net, soooo it's artificial which isn't my strong suit. I know a jig head with some kinda rubber worm. I've got some sparkly paddle tail shad, a purple worm thing with a curly chartreuse tail, some white shrimp tail Gulp with a chartreuse tail, and a couple of spoons. silver and gold. Am I pretty much covered??
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

ksalter321 wrote:Looking at the tide chart, Sunday 0300-0400 should be high activity so I'm planning a trip to the Causeway. Fat Boy's doesn't open until 0500, and I'm not getting up early enough to throw the cast net, soooo it's artificial which isn't my strong suit. I know a jig head with some kinda rubber worm. I've got some sparkly paddle tail shad, a purple worm thing with a curly chartreuse tail, some white shrimp tail Gulp with a chartreuse tail, and a couple of spoons. silver and gold. Am I pretty much covered??
you should throw something dark with a chartruese tail on an 1/8 oz jighead
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

ksalter321 wrote:Hello all. I'm a reasonably experienced fisherman taking up Kayak fishing. Dropped the boat in the water a few times to work on paddling, steering, controlling the boat, etc. and I will be ready to bring a pole the next time, but I'm not very knowledgeable about good spots in my area. I live in Dickinson so I'm minutes from Tiki Island area and West Bay. Also can easily get to Moses Lake and down to Galveston or Clear Lake. I've trolled fishing reports to get some ideas, but it's time to be more proactive. Where are some good launch/fishing areas by me? Not up to miles and miles of paddling yet, so would like some relatively easy paddles to start. (I'm trying paddle at least twice a week to build up some endurance.) Should I get a wade fishing map?

Thanks

Kevin

I was in the same boat (pun intended) a few months ago. I found the Jones Bay/Tiki/Causeway area is great for beginners-- the water is generally very calm and the major structures are very close to a launch site. Tiki is particularly good because you are guaranteed to catch dinner every time you go there! In fact, last weekend I found a light with a school of redfish, every time I cast into the light I had a fish. I might try to be out to the causeway at the same time you're planning to be there this weekend and I second Moby that if you're going to use an artificial at night having a dark color with a chartreuse tail will tend to help catch fish. Also, you may want to consider bringing a shiny spoon, silver and gold have worked well for me on both specs and reds.