How in the world do i control the yak?

narmour12b

How in the world do i control the yak?

Post by narmour12b »

So I've been out on the flats a few times now that I'm comfortable with my abilites to paddle but how in the world do I control my yak and fish at the same time?

I'm guessing the answer will be get a hobie but cheaper alternatives are welcome
TigerLandSportsman

Re: How in the world do i control the yak?

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Anchor, stake pole, drift sock and attach to an anchor trolley. That's all I a got.
crusher

Post by crusher »

Avoid high winds. Otherwise the yak drifts. Drifting lets you cover water which can be a good thing. But if you need to set still, anchor up as Tiger says. I never go without one or the other - Bruce anchor or a stake out pole.
narmour12b

Post by narmour12b »

Dang, I was hoping there was some kind of secret techniques or something... is there any benefit to using a stake out pole instead of an anchor? I tried using both yesterday and I think the anchor worked better thank the pole

Thanks guys
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

narmour12b wrote:Dang, I was hoping there was some kind of secret techniques or something... is there any benefit to using a stake out pole instead of an anchor? I tried using both yesterday and I think the anchor worked better thank the pole

Thanks guys
Were you being bashed by waves? The stake out pole should be used to stop and anchor quietly. But if the waves are heavy or heavy wind it could be hard to use a pole to hold you still. You could also damage your scupper holes if you use the pole through them and the waves are hard crashing on you. For the pole to work right you have to shove it in the sand/mud/shell good to hold you. If it does not have a point make one for it. It is more quiet than dropping a clunky anchor that makes more noise and the you have to watch your anchor line when retrieving.
jmac

Post by jmac »

I didn't see any mention of a rudder. In light winds a rudder allows a good bit more control when drifting.
cyclerj

Post by cyclerj »

Ditto on the rudder, and checkout the Choupique anchor for a shallow water system. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeMI7YveCc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Definitely invest in an anchor trolley if you haven't already. Then get a rudder like others have mentioned. The anchor trolley is the easiest way to control the position of the boat when anchored in the wind. You'll also get better at it over time. It takes some getting used to managing the paddle/anchor/rod all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

narmour12b wrote:So I've been out on the flats a few times now that I'm comfortable with my abilites to paddle but how in the world do I control my yak and fish at the same time?

I'm guessing the answer will be get a hobie but cheaper alternatives are welcome
If your yak does not cooperate then feed it some oats and she will follow your commands all day long... Ha
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

the drift sock and rudder creates some control when drifting and are very good ideas but remember the water is gonna take you with it wherever you go unless you paddle or pedal...if you dont want to make a trolley use eyebolts to create a lot of sturdy safe anchor points and use a dive reel or other device to keep your anchor line out of the way...then you can adjust your anchor line to anywhere from 0 ft to 150 ft (standard dive reel length) and anchor wherever you have an eyebolt with a strong carbiner on it for quick release....if you can find a way to stow the stakeout pole then thats a good idea too if you want to go without an anchor but your limited to the depth of the water vs the length of the pole