Newbie here

Clay59

Newbie here

Post by Clay59 »

First I would like to thank the TKF for letting me join up with y'all. I am an old bass fisherman from years back and sort of fell out of love with fishing after my long time fishing buddy moved off. I must be getting over it because I have developed a keen interest in fishing for reds and trout. Trouble is I don't know "come hear" from "sic 'im" when it comes to salt water fishing. Today a buddy invited me to go to Port Oconnor in a couple of weeks for some kayak fishing. All of the current tackle I have is geared towards bass at Lake Fork. I am looking for suggestions on artificial baits, top waters, line, even live bait hooks. Anything you could tell me would sure be appreciated. David has given me some ideas but I would like to hear from others.
I plan on renting a kayak from ACK in Austin, any particular one I should try first? Assuming we have a good time I'm sure I'll be looking for a kayak soon, but thought I might rent a few to get a feel for what I like.
I'd appreciate any advice y'all might have!
Thanks,
Clay
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Newbie here

Post by kickingback »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 51&t=56504

Enjoy! You can also search the forums for more specific info. And don't foeget that you can change the hooks on those bass lures to salt water hooks and still use them!
Good luck!
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Welcome and enjoy your stay.
I am in the same boat LoL
Starting to get back on the fresh water after a long time.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

You will find a lot of our lures started in freshwater such as Assassins and spinner baits, just modified some for corrosion. Listen to the folks in ACK. Renting is an excellent way to find what you want. Ask to sit in the kayak on the floor and visualize fishing, storing, and transporting your kayak.
I find a kayak is a tool to do what ever I want. Be it fishing or just cruising around (always bring a fishing rod just in case). Great platform for photographers. If you are a fly fisherman, consider a kayak better suited.
This is just my opinion based on experience and mistakes along the ways. Everyone is different.
Clay59

Post by Clay59 »

Thanks Guys! I'll go back and read the link that kicking back provided. I guess I just got so excited about going fishing again I never thought about using a search button. :D
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

No worries.
Also might I suggest that if you are planning on targeting certain fish and need advise on how, when, and where then buy the 4 DVD's from Trout Support dot com. Best saltwater fishing investment you can buy!