Finding Trout slicks

lahai1dj

Finding Trout slicks

Post by lahai1dj »

Taking the advise of a number of folks on this forum I bought the Trout Support DVDs and am thoroughly studying the material. The concepts are eye opening but I am having trouble grasping how to apply them, specifically finding trout/redfish slicks in a kayak. Do any of you use these concepts to find game fish? Do you have trouble seeing them from the kayak or do you 1.) stand and look; 2.) paddle; 3.) stand and look again.... Also, to do this do you heavily rely on a Mirage drive (or equivalent) also, do you need a longer, wider kayak for stability?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Finding Trout slicks

Post by kickingback »

Invest in a good pair of waterproof/fogproof binoculars. I see slicks all the time from my PA14. If they are off in the distance you may not see them without the binocs. I can see slicks form easily while sitting down when the slicks are with in 100 yards easily. You can see them better with tthe sun at a certain angle not reflecting on the water and the water needs to be non choppy so you can see the slicks and where they formed.
You will see some false slicks where the water looks like a slick but is only calm compared to the water around it. This is just a calm water area and not a slick. You usually smell watermelon or cut grass when close.
Just keep your eyes open and continually scan the horizon while paddling around.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Jay Watkins wrote an excellent article in this months Gulf Coast Connections magazine.
txvike

Post by txvike »

You did a very smart thing with buying the troutsupport dvd's...
All of kickingback's advise is great and, you probably already do, but decent polarized sunglasses help too.
Another, all though older article by Jay Watkins on slicks is http://www.texassaltwaterfishingmagazin ... e2960.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I paddle a Tarpon and if I stand more than a few seconds I'd probably fall out but can still see slicks when they pop up to about 100 yds like kickingback pointed out so you don't have to stand up to see one. When you do see what you think is a slick, do two things; cast past it and retrieve thru it and watch it like Tobin pointed out. A real slick will both spread and drift. Good luck.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... lit=slicks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I see slicks all the time, doesn't mean fish it's productive. If you smell watermelon near a slick you better start throwing your bait! :mrgreen:
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

lahai1dj wrote:Taking the advise of a number of folks on this forum I bought the Trout Support DVDs and am thoroughly studying the material. The concepts are eye opening but I am having trouble grasping how to apply them, specifically finding trout/redfish slicks in a kayak. Do any of you use these concepts to find game fish? Do you have trouble seeing them from the kayak or do you 1.) stand and look; 2.) paddle; 3.) stand and look again.... Also, to do this do you heavily rely on a Mirage drive (or equivalent) also, do you need a longer, wider kayak for stability?
You'll figure it our after few trips. :-) Keep your nose open -- everyone mentions "watermelon" smell, but for me it is not even close. But once you feel it few times -- you'll know, air feels "fresh", very different.

If you are (like me) going to spend most of the time hunting reds/flounder in the marsh -- most of trout-related stuff on those DVDs is irrelevant (but still awesome). Also, you wouldn't care about slicks (since you are in the marsh).

No, you don't need to stand up to see slicks (though it might help a bit) -- they a clearly visible as patches of calm water in waves surrounding them. Binoculars might be marginally useful in open water, but fish is likely to be gone by the time you get there in your kayak.

My favorite yak right now is Pescador Sport 12' (no mirage drive, but I had 15 miles-a-day trip once and few 10 miles) -- it is cheap, light, easy to paddle and once you realize that you don't need 20 items to have a successful fishing trip -- it's limited space no longer matters. You can stand up in it, but it is very hard -- so if you plan to sightcast reds a lot, it is not the best choice (but it is possible).