Galveston Jetties

adamcocke

Galveston Jetties

Post by adamcocke »

Hello,

I have taken some time off from fishing and was getting started again. Thought I would hit the north or south jetty this Saturday. Not familiar with Galveston jetties. I planned on going to the boat cut just walking out there but I would take any suggestions you have. Thanks!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Galveston Jetties

Post by kickingback »

Saturday winds and tides look good. A tad bit high winds but manageable at the jetties just be careful. Also remember that being a weekend there will be multiple boats out there and it looks like a small bit of rain. With the look at the wind direction you will be blown on either side of the cut so again be careful.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

i fished there last weekend..tide definitely changes the area...be careful...i posted a thread on this earlier
adamcocke

Post by adamcocke »

Yeah I was just going to fish from the jetty to see how it is. Got skunked last weekend at GISP and now I just want to catch anything. Any suggestions on bait?
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

my dad caught speck on dead shrimp...i threw lots of different gulp with no avail. my dad caught his in the surf near the jetty not on the jetty. surf was too rough to fish the jetty in my yak. sheepbait and small reds were being caught on shrimp by others
adamcocke

Post by adamcocke »

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

we werent more than 100m out on the jetty due to the rough waves...wouldnt go much farther without that anyway

both sides are rough during tide change so stay safe on both south and north jettys especially around north jetty boat cut. ive seen monster fish being walked off by fisherman on the north jetty
adamcocke

Post by adamcocke »

So if I'm walking down that jetty, would you suggest trying all the way down by the boat cut on the north jetty? Never been there, is it an easy walk?
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

adamcocke wrote:So if I'm walking down that jetty, would you suggest trying all the way down by the boat cut on the north jetty? Never been there, is it an easy walk?
yeah you can walk out there....its smooth paved unlike south jetty...
adamcocke

Post by adamcocke »

Gotcha, that's what it looked like. Do you know how early that north jetty bait shop is open? Would like to get some dead shrimp or crab
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

adamcocke wrote:Gotcha, that's what it looked like. Do you know how early that north jetty bait shop is open? Would like to get some dead shrimp or crab
take a piece of chicken on a string and you can catch all the crab you need in the rocks at either jetty. as far as shrimp youll need a net to throw in the surf down rettilon road or will have to stop in the marsh on your way there ...or call the bait shop. that guy is very informative and will help you out...cant remember his name or what time it opens. nearly impossible to launch a yak from north jetty youll have to launch from the surf on crystal beach.

im going to south jetties tomorrow ...should be there around 4 if you want to join.
adamcocke

Post by adamcocke »

I'll call them tomorrow. I'll probably invest in a cast net to get some bait fish. I would love to join unfortunately I have work. I'm definitely going early Saturday morning though. Again thanks for the help.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

adamcocke wrote:I'll call them tomorrow. I'll probably invest in a cast net to get some bait fish. I would love to join unfortunately I have work. I'm definitely going early Saturday morning though. Again thanks for the help.
surf is too high for btb tomorrow but ill be in the area wade fishing
adamcocke

Post by adamcocke »

How does the parking work at the north jetty? Been looking around but don't see anything posted about it. Ideas?
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

adamcocke wrote:How does the parking work at the north jetty? Been looking around but don't see anything posted about it. Ideas?
there is free parking at the north jetty bait camp