Austin Kayak Fishing Locations

kennys223

Austin Kayak Fishing Locations

Post by kennys223 »

Hey all,

I live up north in the Fort Hood Belton area and have been fishing the Belton lake since I have been here and need a change of scenery. Also, with all the rain, Belton Lake is really high. I am sure it is everywhere nut just wanted to try a new area. I remember staying at a hotel in Austin and when I went for a run one morning on a trail along the Colorado River I noticed a lot of kayakers. As I was running the trail, I noticed what seemed to be or what used to be docking areas. I noticed a kayaker loading in and when I looked at where he parked it was only a parking area for a few areas. What I wanted to know was:

1. Where is a good place to fish?
2. Where is a good location to dock out of? (Especially a place where I can leave my car for more than a few hours.)
3. What are the fish species known to be caught our of the river?

I recently found this place called Lady Bird Lake which seems to be a nice location. Any input would be awesome. Or if anyone is willing to meet up and show me around that would be cool to.

Thanks,
Ken
txvike

Re: Austin Kayak Fishing Locations

Post by txvike »

Don't live or fish there but this is a good site showing lots of launch areas.

https://www.austinkayak.com/launchpoint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, if you post over in the 'Freshwater' forum maybe someone with local knowledge could help you out. Good luck.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Lady Bird is tough to fish, but has some great scenery. Lots of big bass left in there, not sure how much grass is left after the fast water. You can launch at the rowing dock, austin high, under I 35, down at festival beach, or all the way down at pleasant valley, or go all the way up to red bud isle. My fun trip is on the colorado below austin, but the water is still too fast.
Swampdonkey

Post by Swampdonkey »

Little bit of a drive but I have absolutely killed the bass at Beuscher State Park lake just south of Bastrop every time I have gone there.
Small lake, maybe 30-40 acres, clear black water so fluorocarbon is recommended.
This spring I caught 9 fish in 2 hrs with the small being over 3lbs and the big being over 6
I don't think a lot of serious kayak fishermen hit this lake and the quality of the fish is pretty amazing. I know for a fact this little lake has some absolute monsters in it too