Fishing line noob

R6Chris

Fishing line noob

Post by R6Chris »

So I haven't bought fishing line in a really.. really long time. I used to mainly fish fresh and occasionally saltwater, but now I pretty much only fish saltwater. I think my reels are both 14# monofilament but 1 of them needs to be replaced. My question is, if I am targeting mainly reds, flounder, and trout what # line should I be using? I have never used braid and pretty interested in trying it out but I have no clue what brands are good. I appreciate any help and advice. Good luck and tight lines.

Chris
Rockclimber

Re: Fishing line noob

Post by Rockclimber »

You are going to get a lot of answers on this one. I changed to braid on my spinning reels a couple of years ago and choose FINS Windtamer in 20# with a flurocarbon 16# or 20# leader. Love the braid and the brand as well.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I changed all my reels to Fins Windtamer about five years ago in 20# yellow so my old eyes can see it easily. Last year I tried out going back to mono trilene in 12# on one reel and it seemed like I was fishing with rubber bands. Other braids have been tried but I always go back to Windtamer. I do prefer a round braid over the oval braids. The braid needs a leader of mono or fluro if you fish around things that can abrade your line. I usually use Trilene 17 # or higher for a leader. A 4" wire leader when Spanish Mackerel are in the area. My hookup ratio really climbed when I changed to braid. I have been getting two years per braid filling.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

+1 on the 20# braid. I started using regular power pro but I switched over to the power pro super slick because it handles better. I have yet to have any issues with the line but I'm curious to check out the FINS. Also I like to run a flouro leader around abrasive structures. Like the others have mentioned braid will help your hookup ratio on top of being much more sensitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vincec9999

Post by vincec9999 »

Really depends on how you like to fish. Fishing with braid usually means using line considerable stronger than what is necessary and you can just yank fish out of the water. With braid there is no stretch either so you have to be aware of the tension in your line otherwise you can lose fish. Fishing with mono usually requires a bit more finesse and understanding how strong your line is. Mono does stretch so you get some flexibility as far as the tension in your line but lose some tactile response. I use Suffix 832 for my braid and Momoi Hi catch for my mono. Not a right or wrong answer here.
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

Here is a link to an article that Coach Mills wrote. It is a great article and has a lot of good information on the pro's and con's to each type of line. I often look back at several of his articles and learn something every time I do. Good luck!

http://tailtailsigns.com/tips-and-artic ... re-angler/
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

That was a very well written and informative article. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

Yak-n TX wrote:That was a very well written and informative article. Thanks for the post!
No problem at all. Coach Mills has some pretty good articles and answers questions with lots of details.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

20# braid with specialized leader for the species
Last edited by MobyYack on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calait

Post by Calait »

JRB-USMC Thanks for posting the article, I have been considering making a leader for the braid on my reel, I am now going to make Fluorocarbon leaders for my lines.