Newbie to Kayak-fishing - looking for guidance

kayakraider

Newbie to Kayak-fishing - looking for guidance

Post by kayakraider »

Hello All,

I am a newbie to Kayak fishing. I enjoy kayaking and have been fishing the jetties for a year or so, but without much luck. I figured Kayak fishing should be fun, so that even if I don't catch anything , I would get to kayak and be away from the crowds. I do not own a kayak yet and I would like to try out kayak-fishing before I invest in a yak. I plan to fish the bay anywhere between Freeport and Galveston, I do not know any better as of yet. Could you guys chime in on the below questions and help me out please?

1. What is a good way to try out Kayak-fishing? Should I rent a fishing-kayak (around $70 per day) and just go out on the water and start casting? Or start by taking a guided kayak fishing trip (anywhere from $300 to $450)?
2. I am thinking Christmas bay is a good place to start. Do you guys have any other better suggestions?
3. Would any of you be willing to let me tag along in your next fishing trip? I will bring everything.

Thanks,
KayakRaider
Rockclimber

Re: Newbie to Kayak-fishing - looking for guidance

Post by Rockclimber »

Hello Kayakraider and welcome aboard. If you have never done this before- yes go with someone else who has and maybe has a spare boat. Renting a boat is always a possibility but I would suggest going with someone else your first couple of times, it will become a lot simpler to have someone show you a few shortcuts and ideas.
My other suggestion is to go with a guide and in your area Rick Spillman is one of best, located in the Freeport area. Rick can supply the kayak and gear if needed and is an excellent kayak instructor, very good guide and great guy. For my first trip with him I split the cost with another TKF'er that I found here on the board. I just conversed with him to make sure we had like abilities and goals for the day and it turned out great.
Renting and trying boats out at paddling days hosted by dealers in a great way to try different boats and decide what you don't want and narrow down choices in what you do want. Don't rush the buying, you have plenty of time.

Good luck- it's an addicting sport!
kayakraider

Post by kayakraider »

Thank you, Rockclimber, for the inputs. I will certainly check out Rick Spillman, I remember someone else suggesting him too!

Finding someone who might have a spare kayak and also be willing to lend it to a stranger is a long shot and probably expecting a tad too much. Because I personally do not know anyone that kayak-fishes. But I will certainly accept an invitation and pitch in where I could. Thanks again.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

kayakraider wrote:Thank you, Rockclimber, for the inputs. I will certainly check out Rick Spillman, I remember someone else suggesting him too!

Finding someone who might have a spare kayak and also be willing to lend it to a stranger is a long shot and probably expecting a tad too much. Because I personally do not know anyone that kayak-fishes. But I will certainly accept an invitation and pitch in where I could. Thanks again.
Well if u make it down to port Mansfield I got a few yaks I can learn u!
U r welcome to join me and my wife , we try to fish every Saturday.

Let's go Fishin....Coco!
Z-man
kayakraider

Post by kayakraider »

Hello Z-man,

Thanks for the offer. Port Mansfield is quite aways afar. But will definitely hit you up if I come that way. Thanks again.

Kayak Raider.
retired Papa

Post by retired Papa »

kayakraider wrote:Hello Z-man,

Thanks for the offer. Port Mansfield is quite aways afar. But will definitely hit you up if I come that way. Thanks again.

Kayak Raider.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

you can rent a yak anywhere from 20 to 50 bucks for the whole day, so depending on how often you use it, it may be cheaper to rent. you should definitely go with someone else (i do not kayak without a partner). watch the BTB and saltwater threads for groups going out (especially mythman cuz he only goes out in calm conditions). im about to start going everyday if you want to go with me
Calait

Post by Calait »

I advocate the idea of renting kayaks till you find one you enjoy paddling or pedaling for the day I agree you can rent most kayaks for 20 to 50 per day. Be safe and have fun.