Post by 1212hammer »

https://youtu.be/5SR05fDFhms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If your realy new to fishing this may help you tie a HOOK
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Easy way to tie a HOOK

Post by texnomad »

Don't even think about trying to use that clinch knot with braid.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I've never used braid. What knot would I use if I were to start.

No, seriously. I looked at it when it first came out and decided I didn't need it. You lot at least got me THINKING about fishing saltwater, so I better learn what I need to know, yeah? :lol:

Kirk B.
tomballplugger

Easy way to tie a HOOK

Post by tomballplugger »

Remember, an easy knot isn't necessarily the correct knot.
My preferences (which have been altered after almost a year of throwing lures exclusively and about 8 months of throwing braid exclusively): braid to fluoro leader with a crazy Alberto, fluoro leader to lure with a non slip (mono) loop knot
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Two knots take care of my needs for fishing line. Uni to Uni for leader attaching and San Diego Jam for other needs. Both work well on mono, fluoro and braid.
Tim Austin

Post by Tim Austin »

I have been SHOCKED at the strength of a Davy or double Davy knot. When I first saw it, I thought they must be kidding so I tied it on a hook. I used a pair of pliers and yanked and twisted and pulled on the hook. The line finally broke but the knot held. I dragged in dozens of fish with it and it never failed. Would someone else please try that knot and let me know if it works as well for them?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The Davy knot slipped with Windtamer 20# when I tried it. Worked great on mono.
Tim Austin

Post by Tim Austin »

tomballplugger wrote:Remember, an easy knot isn't necessarily the correct knot.
My preferences (which have been altered after almost a year of throwing lures exclusively and about 8 months of throwing braid exclusively): braid to fluoro leader with a crazy Alberto, fluoro leader to lure with a non slip (mono) loop knot
Why does it have to be "correct?" I talked to an older guy at Cabelas once who was just recently turned on to fishing. He had arthritis and shaky hands and was asking if there were easier ways to tie on tackle. I taught him a few choice, EASY, knots and he was thrilled! His wife even thanked me! I'm sorry if I've read you wrong but I think fishing should bring folks together, not find ways to be picky or exclusive.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

A correct knot, in my world, is one that holds when put under strain every time.