Cocahoe tying???

Millsman5

Cocahoe tying???

Post by Millsman5 »

I have read and read and watched videos over and over! I place my jig heads precisely in the middle, bring hook out right over top of fun and make sure back is perfectly straight then cast it. Dam thing spins like there is no tomorrow? Been fishing 35 years but new to these plastics.

Any help would be awesome!!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Cocahoe tying???

Post by texnomad »

A close up picture of one of yours rigged would help a lot. We need to see the hook position from the front and the side.
Millsman5

Post by Millsman5 »

Thanks, I will take a couple pictures tonight and try to put it on here. I haven't done any pictures yet.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Also it is possible that your speed through the water is too fast. Make your lure seem like it is out for a leisurely stroll right after supper. That does not apply to smacks or kings.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Wrong jighead or not matched to plastic well. That would be my guess
Millsman5

Post by Millsman5 »

Sorry never got a picture on. I had a neighbor show me what I was doing wrong and it was mainly the jighead. I changed it out and cut the top fin off my cocahoe, it seems to be working.

Thanks for all the help, appreciate the feedback. Working hard this winter with artificials so I can join the lsks next year and meet a few of you that post, it would be an honor.
crusher

Post by crusher »

I just found this thread really interesting. I never noticed a spin when casting my Cocahoe, but I bet I'm all hung up next time out, watching my jig fly out when I cast to see if it's spinning. That won't be fun. Or maybe you meant it spins during the retrieve - I wasn't clear when you're getting the spin issue. I think Texnomad has a good comment.
I've never heard of cutting the fin, what is the purpose of that? I'm always interested in improving the action.
ranben2762

Post by ranben2762 »

H&H Cocahoe Minnows and Curl Tails are my favorite saltwater plastics!

My assumption(like Texnomad's) is that you were getting the twist during your retrieve. The first thing that I do before I attempt to put any plastic on a hook or jighead is lay it along side to visualize how I want it to look. When I insert the hook I try to follow that "path" as I best as I can. The body of the Cocahoe is kind of tall and skinny instead of round. You have to use a little more effort to keep them flat while threading the hook because they can scrunch up and end up crooked on your jighead. Practice makes perfect.

If you are using the correct jighead, you may consider how you tie it on. Some tie on with a loop knot which lets the lure assume it's natural angle while retrieved. I almost always use a Palomar knot on jigheads. I tighten it on the eye between 45 and 90 degrees to the lure which gives it a slightly downward rake while retrieved. If you use any knot that is tight and it is toward the forward part of the eye, the slightest imbalance may cause twist.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

loop knot might help
Millsman5

Post by Millsman5 »

Thanks guys, I know this is an old post. I got them down now and yes I like using them too.

It was the retrieve when it was spinning. I do not know what the purpose of the cutting top fin was, but I tried it and it worked. Now I am not cutting the top fin and it still works. I believe it was my jighead more than anything.