New to Jigs.

bentron

New to Jigs.

Post by bentron »

Hey guys, I've been fishing my whole life, grew up in florida and currently yakking through Texas, while i learned many other artificial baits I have never learned how to efficiently use jigs, any help would be appreciated, links to guides, types of jigs to buy and use in certain situations, and any tips and hints y'all have gathered over the years. I also want to know what gear ratio is ideal for jigs. Thanks for all the help!
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: New to Jigs.

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

What type of jigs? Hair/rubber for bass or jigs for saltwater fish?
Coastalonya.

Post by Coastalonya. »

I have a set of different weights and colors always. Start at 1/8 ounce and work up to 3/4. Colors red, white, lead and chartreuse. I seem to have better luck with jig heads with a simulated eye. I like Rockport Rattlers because they have bbs in the chamber that makes a popping noise. They can be a bit tough to get on some baits, so I do carry some straight shank jigs as well. Most of my jigs get used on a paddle tail plastic bait like a coccoho minnow or a shad pattern bait. I try to go as small as conditions will allow and try to match available bait type and size. To that bait I may add a scent like Procure. I am always experimenting with different sizes and colors
wade-a-minuate

Post by wade-a-minuate »

If it's jig heads with soft plastics,my set up is always a gamagatsu 1/8 oz jig head with some type of gulp.Cast into a marsh drain and slow roll it ,always puts out flounder and red fish for me.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There are a lot of variables to look at... like how fast you want to fish it, whether it s straight tail like a bass assasin or a paddle tails. As mentioned above, the 1/8th oz generally is the most versatile. But sometimes in water that's less than 3' using a straight tail, you may want to use a 1/16th oz. There are times when fishing deeper water you may want a 3/16th or even a 1/4 as well. That will typically be in water greater than about 5'-6'. Another variable is current flow. If you are fishing for flounder in a cut or bayou and their is significant current flow then you'll want a heavier jig head and to have it just barely getting to the bottom in those conditions. You want to use the lightest jighead possible in each scenario, that will give the best presentation and make the lure look more natural in the water.

hope that helps,
tobin@troutsupport.com