Area off 45 between fat boys and lewis?

stryper

Area off 45 between fat boys and lewis?

Post by stryper »

Every time i drive out of galveston i look to my left and see a really nice looking area. Marshes to the north of Tiki anyone been?
LocoSeamonkey

Re: Area off 45 between fat boys and lewis?

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

I have never seen anyone fishing that area but was wondering myself. I have seen lots of crab traps innthat area.... Who knows?
BigAndito

Post by BigAndito »

I've always wondered. It pretty shallow though even during high tide.
crusher

Post by crusher »

Never been there myself, but I know a couple people that frequent the area. Mostly out toward the rail road bridge and beyond. Best thing that could happen is you try it and post up a nice report. Worst that could happen is you try it and cross it off your list...assuming you have safe parking and a happy paddle.
Moken10.5

Post by Moken10.5 »

Fished there a few times, real shallow unless water is up next to road, didn't catch anything but bullheads, there is lots of bait, so if you cover a lot of area you might catch something, besides mosquitoes
salvadordaly

Post by salvadordaly »

Headed toward Galveston (south) I take exit #6. This is just south of Bayou vista and North of tiki island. I pull over at a small bridge that has an inlet that runs under I 45 from the North to the south. I fish the west side of I 45. I will load up 4 crab traps that I drop on the way to the west down a channel toward the BNSF railroad tracks. It is just about a mile to that location. I will shop for redfish on the way out to the tracks, I have never seen any though. It is all very shallow 1 to 2 foot deep through most of the marsh that I have been through. The only inlets into this marsh is from Jones lake and the 2 Rail road bridges connected to the marsh. They are about 20 - 30 yards wide each. I usually end up fishing the railroad bridge, out of my yak when the tides are moving in or out. At which time you can catch flatties (nothing big just over or under limit size) hanging around the currents moving through the bridges. I have caught rat reds as well as dinks and keeper trout though not that often. The crab traps usually pay off, I look like the Cornelia Marie with 2 crab pots stacked 2 high on front of the yak, and 2 stacked high on the back of the yak as I go out. I usually drop them in the channel leading out to the rail road bridge. I will say that every thing that I have caught has been in the current of these bridges. Nothing other than crabs has produced in the marsh it's self. I often say to myself that I will head to "old faithful" when I make my way to the rail road bridge after not seeing, or catching anything in the marsh. There is always plenty of bait in the area though. I go to this location because I can just pull off the highway, park, and unload and be in the water in about 15 minutes. Always pressed for time it seems. Also I have only been there in the evening times, never in the AM. I hate to see a sunrise, I'm either up to late or up to early! Note the time of this post. I hope I helped you out, if you are out that way in the PM and you see a Silver Dodge Ram parked there I will see you at the railroad bridge. How was that for my first post on TKF website?