New to artificials

madmac33

New to artificials

Post by madmac33 »

Just got my first yak and plan on doing some fishing down at the coast. I have done plenty of saltwater fishing but all has been with live or cut bait. I really don't feel like messing with live bait on the yak so I'm gonna try some artificials. What are some of the lures I need to look at getting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Flippin' Crazee

Re: New to artificials

Post by Flippin' Crazee »

The Down South paddle tails work pretty good for me. I use the Texas Roach color on a 1/16oz jighead a lot. I use the 1/16oz because i am fishing on shallow reefs for redfish and i can work them without getting them hung on the shell. Chunk it out and just bounce it off the bottom, let the paddle tail do it's job and you will catch fish if you are in a fishy area. Good Luck.
My Father's Son

Post by My Father's Son »

+1 for paddle tails. Also, spoons and a hunchback wake bait, because they can all be used with a steady retrieve. Just about any gulp / D.O.A shrimp under a popping cork should be pretty easy transition.
madmac33

Post by madmac33 »

Thanks for the advice. When using the gulp under a cork do you use a weighted hook/ jig head or just a hook?
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Look into ZMan baits. They have baits that are impregnated with Pro-Cure scents and are WAY more durable than gulp.
My Father's Son

Post by My Father's Son »

madmac33 wrote:Thanks for the advice. When using the gulp under a cork do you use a weighted hook/ jig head or just a hook?

I use a jig head to keep it flying ahead of your cork when casting and so the bait falls when you pop it in the water. I'm also kinda partial to the D.O.A though, because they're more durable and come pre rigged. Jedi brought up a good point, pro cure is a good little "extra" to use when your learning to work arties.
madmac33

Post by madmac33 »

Sounds good appreciate it fellas