swivels or no

mike67

swivels or no

Post by mike67 »

Did a quick search, and I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but:

I'm confused about using swivels. Do you tie braid to leader to artificial direct, or do you use a swivel anywhere along the line? Also, it would be convenient, of course, to use a snap swivel at the lure to facilitate quick changes. Is it such a weak link? Many thanks.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: swivels or no

Post by texnomad »

No swivels here. Just one light wire 30# snap of the Duoloc variety at end of leader..
Last edited by texnomad on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Swivel to the split ring or tactical angler clip with a wire trace attached from swivel to the mono topshot via modified albright knot.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Use a split ring to attach a swivel to a spoon. Otherwise, tie direct.
mike67

Post by mike67 »

Thanks all - and I apologize for the question as I discovered the topic discussed deeper in the forum. You guys must get tired of repeating yourselves, but you don't seem to complain about it. And like a lot of life, there are all sorts of preferences. Think I'll take the advice that says each gadget a person adds is a place for failure, so guess I'll forgo the swivels/snaps and go braided to leader with a modified Albright and (not sure yet) from leader to lure. Thanks again for the replies.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I use quick snaps on all my lures,
Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

For the leader to a top water or subsurface lure, I use a loop knot to give it some movement. For jig heads, I usually use a modified cinch knot.
If you really want to see some answers and details, search this subject on 2 Cool Fishing....
vic'sfly

Post by vic'sfly »

No swivels here I've had a couple of rod tips rings knocked out with swivels :evil: so I've learned my lesson at least that's my opinion
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

vic'sfly wrote:No swivels here I've had a couple of rod tips rings knocked out with swivels :evil: so I've learned my lesson at least that's my opinion

2X on this. Expensive to replace the rings in the tip. Another good reason to not use swivels. But some do...
GetBent
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GetBent »

No swivel unless a spoon but only to reduce line twist. It's a good thing to retie once in a while. Never know when you chaffed your knot. I usually have more than one rod to minimize the retie hassle. Plus it helps to have a rod for your specific lure. Good example is a paddle tail on a 1/8oz jig head compared to a top water. You can get away with just one rod but it helps to have a specific rod. Learned this with bass fishing.
mike67

Post by mike67 »

Thanks all. I appreciate the time and answers.
rms2005

Post by rms2005 »

I use a mix of both, if its a lure or bait that will twist then yes I use a small snap swivel otherwise I tie direct. I do however use the smallest titanium snap that I feel comfortable with for the targeted fish.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

I do use them on spinning rigs but usually not on my bait casters.