Best bait/lure for night fishing in West Bay, Galveston...

bigAl007

Best bait/lure for night fishing in West Bay, Galveston...

Post by bigAl007 »

Hi, everyone. Complete newbie here, so please bear with me.

I'm going to be doing some night fishing this weekend in the Galveston, West Bay area. I've been advised NOT to use artificial lures for night fishing.

I thought artificial lures were fine night or day. Is this your experience?

I don't mean to get a debate going regarding which is best, bait or artificial. Just want to know, from personal experience, if you have had success with artificals at night.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Best bait/lure for night fishing in West Bay, Galveston...

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Are you going to be mobile or stuck in one spot. If in one spot will there be lights ?

If you're stuck in one spot with no lights I'd go with bait. If you have lights then almost any Artie that works in the day will do. Try to figure out what they are feeding on(what bait do you see in the lights) and imitate it. It will probably be shrimp or small baitfish/shad/piggies etc.

If you are mobile(yak, wade, etc) then you're in luck with your timing. With the approaching full moon you'll have plenty of light if it's a clear night. I like to fish a black topwater or jerkbait. The dark color allows the fish to see the silhouette against the sky. Another way to go is glow type soft plastics on jigheads or weightless. Spinnerbaits and other commotion type baits work well in the dark too.
OneFishTwoFish

Post by OneFishTwoFish »

Black top dog
unpredictable

Post by unpredictable »

I've caught plenty of trout at night under the lights on the cocahoe minnow. The colors I've had success with are tuxedo, rootbeer, black, and strawberry with white tail. I've also heard good things about mirror lure mirrodine mini. Haven't had the chance to try them under the lights yet though.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

I've used DOA glow shrimp and have had great success when night fishing for trout.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

try using a black/dark lure with a neon tail . gulp is good for scents....
Flippin' Crazee

Post by Flippin' Crazee »

I fish a lot at night in the dark, no lights. A black/chart topwater works if they are hitting tops, sometimes when the moon is out they will want a bone spook jr. instead of black. A paddle tail soft plastic in black/chart works really well at night, I mostly throw the Down South Lure because I like the action of the long tail combine with the small paddle tail. If I know fish are in the area and they are not biting the DSL, I will change to a small paddle tail and that will usually work. Last weekend there were a lot of small brown shrimp where I was fishing, the small paddle tail worked. I hope this helps a little.