any recommendations on pliers

05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

i used a set of cheap rapala pliers but they started to rust so i picked up a set of those orange and black foreverlast g2 pliers which are light and long enough to get the deeply hooked fish hooks out but i have noticed the jaws just don't seem to grab real well they slip a lot of times when I'm trying to unhook the fish. I'm guessing because they are made of aluminum . what pliers do you guys use that i might take a look at any suggestions would be great.
MarshMikee

Re: any recommendations on pliers

Post by MarshMikee »

you are probably not going to like this advice, but I am a pliers 'ho, and have tried a bunch.

I like the small set of Orvis pliers, and the Abel ( those are my favorite ), I don't go without one of those on me.

The Abel can have the cutters replaced, for $20. Mine are pushing 15+ years, been replaced once, need it again. MY fault this time, using them to cut hooks.

If I need a heavier plier, like for offshore bill fish etc, the van Staal are pretty good.

Unfortunately, I have not found any budget pliers, that are not a waste of money.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I've actually been the most happy extra heavy medical forceps. Academy use to carry them but I haven't seen them there in long time. Only place I know that I have seen them is the 'Non'General - General Store' on 71 between Austin and Houston...
JMS

Post by JMS »

About three years ago I got these on sale at Bass Pro, best pair of fishing pliers I've ever owned. http://t.basspro.com/Browning-Fishing-7 ... 300540282/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crusher

Post by crusher »

http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com/p ... LQA10.html

Not sponsored or rep FTU, but these are a good value. I have a pair for each family member;one needed loosened with an allen wrench, cleaned and lightly oiled, the other two have only needed a quick rinse even after mud/salt baths.
stryper

Post by stryper »

Finally started using my 6'' van staals after keeping them in the box for 2 years. Now I know why they are the 2nd most expensive pliers.
Cause they work.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

A question regarding these pliers and especially the cutters that most come with (at least most that are recommended above): Will those cut wire leaders (as in cutting off a shark in BTB)? Will they cut through a hook in the eventually that someone gets impaled with a hook and have to do the push-the-barb-through and cut it off? Trying to get prepared for these type situations and appreciate the input. So far I have been in the buy budget pliers and replace them too often camp.
Thanks,
TC
maskale

Post by maskale »

Like others I haven't been happy with the pliers we can get, the aluminum ones just aren't strong enough for pulling some hooks. I would pay for the van staals if I knew I wasn't going to loose them at some point. This summer I got some regular craftsman needle nose pliers and been using them offshore, they get soaked every trip. They wont rust up in one day of use while out on the water. I rinse them when I get home, then spray down with WD and hang to dry. They have been holding up fine, and 100 times better then any aluminum pliers. Yes they have rusted, but they have not locked up, still very easy to open and close. I carry a boomerang for line cutting.
maskale

Post by maskale »

Top cat, most fishing pliers wont do what you are talking about, they cut line, that's about it. They may cut some very small wire, but no what I would use for a shark leader. I tried cutting a small treble hook, it didn't.
mikewood

Post by mikewood »

Hot hook removal I like the long handled "hook out" tools with the toothed jaws made by Baker, Berkeley and others. For most other chores I like stainless needle nosed fishing pliers with the crimper notches.
Honestly, I go cheap here.

Calcutta makes some awesome looking gear.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Everybody needs a set of these...............just $647.88+$4.49 shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Staal-Titaniu ... aal+pliers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stryper

Post by stryper »

I'll sell you mine for 350$ and throw in shipping
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

TroutSupport.com wrote:I've actually been the most happy extra heavy medical forceps. Academy use to carry them but I haven't seen them there in long time. Only place I know that I have seen them is the 'Non'General - General Store' on 71 between Austin and Houston...
Bingo. Great prices on all sizes. Invaluable for flounder de-hooking and general use. Also cheap enough to replace when you lose a set over the yak in the marsh like I tend to do. Pro tip: Get a zinger!
Moken10.5

Post by Moken10.5 »

Harbor Freight has some for like $6, mine are like 4 years old, some rust on them, but its just surface rust on the stainless steel, have never oiled them, don't really wash them just over spray when wash PFD, when they get sticky just dunk them in the water and open and close few times loosen up the rust at hinge then repeat a time or two and good to go again to open one handed.
About the only complaint I have is there is some thin SS spring material to help open them up, kept getting hung up on things so bent it back and forth till I broke them off.
They a have a couple of crimp slots and a wire cutter for making wire leaders. Figured when I bought them they wouldn't last so bought 2, the other one is still in my spares box. Used a 25% off coupon when I bought them so, cheap enough to try them out, I'm sure there is a lot better ones out there, but for something that is just one slip from going to the bottom.com, not into wasting money on fancy gimmicks.
MNsurf

Post by MNsurf »

I've been using a set of Gander Mountain aluminum pliers for about 4 years now. I rinse them off about once a month and lube them and they've held up great so far. I think I got them for about $20 on Black Friday.
bentron

Post by bentron »

I'm kind of basic but I've been using bass pro brand pliers for the last year, gets the job done and only cost around 12$ at least it doesn't hurt as much to lose them off the side.