How much stock do you put in barometric pressure?

Beefyg

How much stock do you put in barometric pressure?

Post by Beefyg »

There's a guy at work that swears if its over 30 then don't even bother leaving the house. This sounds a bit ridiculous to me but I don't have years of experience to back it up. Do you pay much attention to it?
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: How much stock do you put in barometric pressure?

Post by gonefishin »

We mostly used the barometer when freshwater fishing. I'm not sure about the pressure readings though. Dad would turn the dial and set the pointer over the pressure reading pointer on the old barometer. If it fell the next morning then fishing was usually not going to be that good. If it rose we would usually fill the stringer. Something to do with falling pressure. My dad and grandfather swore by it, but I haven't used it in years. Still have dad's old barometer though. Another one is Wind in the east, catching is the least. In freshwater this seemed true, not so much fishing saltwater.
I just go when I am able to get away, and weather permitting. I don't take much stock in the old barometer readings anymore. Fish may be harder to find, or not that likely to bite. It will just be a little more paddling to find them and a little more trial and error to get them to bite. You'll never know if you stay home because the pressure is low.
Get out there and try and make notes of every trip, weather conditions, water temp, location, results etc... and come to your own conclusions :wink:

Tight Lines
Beefyg

Post by Beefyg »

Thanks! I go when I can because its not all that often.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

I don't think that fish at the coast shut down during high pressure as bad as largemouth bass do. However, some of my best days have definitely been on falling barometer,stormy days and on days when the barometer levels off to normal after a rise.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Barometer will have an effect on your fishing. Next time a cold front blows through, and we have blue bird skies go fishing tell us your results. When the barometer if falling or when the weather is changing you'll catch fish. I do agree that fresh water lakes are more sensitive to high barometer.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I keep a fishing log and record times on water, wind, temps, baro, technique, bait and lots of other info.

Fishing BTB, I do not see a significant difference in barometer pressure...........to the point that I haven't even kept it in my log for 2-3 years.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I pay less attention to it during summer, but in winter it can help me locate fish. Their is a certain period that I don't bother with because it has proven that even though I might catch one... it's a long long grind. that period being 4 hours after a frontal passage to the day after the highest pressure. personally, I like some puffy clouds in the sky... not thin high clouds.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I don't fish much after the passage of a cold front mainly due to the strong winds associated with the passage. I like a falling barometer but I don't keep track of it all that close. I go when I can.
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

ZERO, I pay more attention more to the wind, Heck, go when you can...G