Need advice for a Kid wanting to try Fly Fishing

crusher

Need advice for a Kid wanting to try Fly Fishing

Post by crusher »

We both bass fish small lakes and bay fish with arties, spinning and casting rods. I've got us all set with three yaks, and all the gear for 3 people to be spinner, popping cork, Buggs, topwaters, etc on the marsh or ponds, on my dime. We're good there. It's a pleasure to be out with one or two of my 3 kids at a time.

Now my 13 year old has an itch to try fly fishing for the same fish. I don't fly fish and we don't have a neighbor with a spare fly rod. Do I (he earns his own $$) let him spend the minimum on an Academy, Bass Pro or LLBean entry combo package? We see they range from $30 to $150 for beginners combos. Are the cheapest Pfleuger and Shakespeare's for $40 with hard plastic reels a complete waste, or ok for his first year to see if he takes to the fly? I like cheap to see if a new hobby has legs, but I hate junk. Any fly guys with a suggestion (or bargain combo for sale for the kid)? He has a buddy moved here from up north that is a good young trout and salmon fisherman, to teach him the basics on the local ponds with catchable bass.
I figured I'd try here before interupting the full-scale fly fishing board for a newbie fly fishing question.
Thanks.
Tombo

Re: Need advice for a Kid wanting to try Fly Fishing

Post by Tombo »

There are those that can fly fish and there are those that can teach fly fishing. Best I can tell you is get a fly fishing instructor, maybe FTU might have a class. Just try to get your son to learn some basics before he develops some bad habits.
Forget video's, self teaching, books ect. Nothing like a teacher that can stand back and "see" what is going on.
There is another thread started looking for fly fishing instructors in the Houston area with a lot of responses.
Good luck and maybe I can dig up a couple flys to try.
BTW, practice fly casting without a hook!
Chrispyflyguy

Post by Chrispyflyguy »

As far as rods go I started with a $40 walmart special that was "ready to fish". I have to say, I caught a lot of fish on that rod, including about a 7 pound coho salmon by mistake. They will catch fish no problem. Dont expect too much out of those rods but if your looking for something that will throw a fly better than a spinning rod with a bobber attached than go for it!

I later upgraded to a Cabelas Prestige rod and reel combo for catching steelhead and salmon and again had a blast. The cabelas rod was quite a bit nicer than the walmart special but was also 2X the cost. I will say that the flies you get with those combos do not work too well. Dont know why but I never ended up catching fish with the ones that came with my walmart special, had to tie my own to start catching fish.

I would suggest something in the 6-8 weight range for catching bass. Smaller would work a little better unless your looking to catch big fish. I usually target salmon and steelhead up to the 20 pound range and am learning how to catch redfish and trout on my 8 weight.

I definitly suggest that your son takes some lessons on casting. Also if you end up going with the cheaper rod rout, get the one with the foam handle, the cork on the cork handles will not last too long at all and is rather uncomfterable to use.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Puck

Post by Puck »

Houston's local fly fishing club (http://www.texasflyfishers.org) offers an academy during the first part of the year.

Some of the local retailers do the same.

Casting instruction is worth every penny!

Puck
neto1961

Post by neto1961 »

Go to Bass Pro Shops they have a free class Saturdays at noon. They let you used there own reels and rods, so you can see if you like it or not. In that way you can see if like it with out spending any money. (you may want to call them to check the time of the class)

good luck
ernesto