How to fish Braunig and Calaveras Lake in San Antonio?

fernfisher

How to fish Braunig and Calaveras Lake in San Antonio?

Post by fernfisher »

Im new to lake fishing. I usually fish the coast, but now I live in San Antonio. I have been out at braunig and Calaveras on my yak a couple of times, but each time I get skunked. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to fish these lakes. I really need your help :?
RoosterTX

Re: How to fish Braunig and Calaveras Lake in San Antonio?

Post by RoosterTX »

Search the forums. Lots of posts addressing this exact question.
fernfisher

Post by fernfisher »

Thanks for the tip, I looked at the other posts. I was wondering how to catch stripers or catfish at braunig lake. Does anyone know any good spots they might want to tell me about? 8)
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

At braunig, check the discharges first. There are two. One set is shallow and flows out into a flat in front of the power plant. The other is a deeper channel and flows out to the left as you are facing the plant. I've had luck with stripers there using chrome rattletraps and live or dead shad. Believe it or not, stripers and reds will eat liver out there too so if you are a bait tossing guy, pack a tub of that and give it a try.

Other than the discharges, I've caught some near the end of the jetty and out in front of the dam too. I had a buddy that used to fish there in his boat a lot. He swore by a spot and took me there a few times and we caught fish. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it was. It was about 75 yds off the dam and halfway between the dead tree pt and the spillway.
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Look under the TKFSA forum. You can read all the tips and action. Most yakers out there on both waters are more than eager to teach the tricks of the lake. Good luck and hope to see u out there.
Redman27

Post by Redman27 »

At Calaveras in a kayak, Right now anywhere in front of the kayak launch about 200-300 yards out they have been catching reds.. now if you cross the lake to 181 cove around the center of the cove 50-75 yards in the cats hit pretty well reds will also run there ever so often.. Use slip cork rigs, carolina rig with live tilapia 3'-4', Yeh mon crawfish and shrimp fishbites have worked.. dead shrimp, have heard of guys using tiliapia heads with about half the body still on and shad as well
fernfisher

Post by fernfisher »

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it. Ill probably head out to braunig this Saturday to go try if they are hitting.