new to saltwater fishing

chuarrua1121

new to saltwater fishing

Post by chuarrua1121 »

Hi. I don't know what I'am doing wrong I have tried every possible artificial lure that they say is good for reds and trout and I still no caching a simple rat and the worse is that i even try live shrimp under a cork and free line and noting I usually go to mud lake and aroud cone island between 7 am and 3 pm maybe is the wrong place and the wrong.
thanks. :(
Yes you have my permit to laugh about my question and my english. :roll:
gigem409

Re: new to saltwater fishing

Post by gigem409 »

Not sure where that is but come to the west end in galveston and we can catch nothing together. I use the chatter weight chartreuse in my line with a hook and some live shrimp and sometimes mud minnow. Came from the west coast and its different here for sure.
AHP

Post by AHP »

Never laugh at someone else, especially since you are trying to learn English.

My suggestion is to read a little bit about what to look for while fishing. IE: Look for birds, bait fish schools, tailing fish. The trick is to look for objects that give you an idea that fish are in the area.
Also you need to look at the weather and tide patterns.

That should start you off in the right direction.
chuarrua1121

Post by chuarrua1121 »

thanks AHP
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

My first thought is where you were fishing wasn't holding fish. Can't catch what's not there. Next would be to look for active bait or actively feeding fish. You will be able to tell if the bait is cruising or running scared. Next would be to key in on structure. Mud bottom, shell, sand, grass, creek mouth.. ect. When I cruise the edges looking for reds if I spook one I try to see which way they are facing and how deep they were. Usually they will all be about the same depth when targeting bait. I started with a go to lure which was a gulp jerk shad in New penny 5" and started with that. Going with other anglers will help the curve. I would find an area close to you and stay with it and learn that area first. Most likely you might have missed key signs for the fish.
ndmk27

Post by ndmk27 »

Dry spells are made to be broken. Keep going out, pay attention to fish, birds, and current. Drift your bait if you can while you cast an artificial, and resist the urge to keep changing the lure. I don't like to get into a lot of detail, but chartreuse works for me more often than not. I also found this past summer that I started catching more fish when I rigged my plastics on a Rockport Rattler Lunkermax, which is for bass worms. It's weedless, has a very wide gap hook, and as the name suggests, has a little rattle embedded in the weight. I work these very slowly over the shell and mud, rigged with some sort of Gulp or Norton product and had some great days with upper slot redfish and trout, and I think it was switching from a leadhead jig to the fancier bass option allowed me to keep the lure under their noses long enough for them to get mad at it, even if they weren't exactly feeding like crazy at the time. Gold and silver spoons are also good, in the weedless variety.

I know the feeling man, hope it picks up for you
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Using the right bait, when in the wrong habitat will still result in catching nothing. I know... tough words to hear. I Guess that's tough love right bro. Like the others have said above you must look for the signs of fish presence (but more specifically, the right sign in the right habitat). For example... one trout habitat is oyster reef in waste deep to 6 feet of water. Find that habitat with signs of presence of fish or baitfish and then you have somewhere to actually have a chance at catching trout. Now some areas will be seasonal and some areas will be more consistent, but at least you'll be in the ball park.

We (TroutSupport.com) made instructional videos with fishing guides and made all the graphics to help you understand where and when and what to look for. It will saves you years of frustration (between 3-10years on the water education is packed into each one). There are plenty testimonial threads on this board so don't let it feel like I'm trying to sell you anything. It's just easier to see it all in video and here it from the pro's and watch something that is jammed packed with the secrets of the sport. ... Right Guys?
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

are you selling these videos? Is this a business?
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yes and I am Sponsor on TKF.

We really made them to help people and a lot of people on this board and others really like them as well as have really improved their fishing skills with them. In the meantime I share a lot of helpful info with the board as well, but as others have told me, 'there is a difference between seeing it and reading about it'

Feel free to PM me anytime and ask me questions as well.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

ok, thanks for the answer.
hornedfrog21

Post by hornedfrog21 »

Chief Brody wrote:are you selling these videos? Is this a business?
I received my 4 DVD set from Troutsupport.com 3 days ago, and they are packed with information that is obvious was accumulated from years on the water from guys that know what they are doing. I can't wait to hit the water soon, full of new knowledge about what I am looking for, and how to discern if the area I am in should hold fish or not.

Troutsupport.com is not just "selling" DVD's, they are giving novice fisherman everything they need to be successful at catching fish, and making their time on the water more productive and fun. These DVD's are priceless!!

Can you tell that I highly recommend? :mrgreen:
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

It doesn't matter what you throw, if the fish are not in the area you're fishing it's hard to catch fish. Lot of things come into play, tide, wind directions, clarity of water, temp, barometer rising or falling, moon phases, bait in the area, etc, you have to learn to factor these elements on every trip, once you get an idea on how our weather/environment directly impacts your fishing you'll will be more successful.