Considering switching from Spinning to baitcaster

SouthLlano

Post by SouthLlano »

What do I need to know?

95% will be used in freshwater. I am looking for a quality intro combo from someplace like Academy, just to get my feet wet and learn how to use (before going all in). Any thoughts on decent combos that won't break the bank?

Thanks.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Considering switching from Spinning to baitcaster

Post by Thinwater skinner »

I would not buy a combo. I would buy the reel that is best suited for the type of fishing you want to do.. Crank baits, worms, drop shoting, jigs, etc. I would also do the same thing with the rod... let it match the reel..

If I had to buy, I would watch the want add on this site and other sites and get a starter at 50% or more off the new price... You will be way ahead of the game. if you do not like the baitcaster and rod, then you won't have as much invested and you could then resell on the site you bought the rod and reel...

Good luck and let us know what you decided to do. Happy fishing...
nworley

Post by nworley »

I've been happy with my abu Garcia blue max combo. It wasy first baitcaster, and has a very smooth retrieve and has held up well in the salt. It's normally $60 but frequently goes on sale for $30 or 40 and academy. I also saw at my local academy they had a rack of used baitcasting combos, in good condition all for $50, and some of them felt really nice.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I have used both for over fifty years and each works well in Most situations. However when I started using very light lures in the 1/8 ounce and down range, the baitcasters were not up to the job, especially with much wind at all. So naturally I now have both types to use as required. It is also fun to switch reel types now and then just for the giggles.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Only started with conventionals after starting yak fishing, many years using eggbeaters.

That made me brave enough to try a bait caster. Many here say get a good one when starting out but I learned with an inexpesnive Daiwa Strikeforce and still use it to this day (each cast I get better).

I also like having a spinning setup on hand for thrwring those lighter baits.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

and I need spellcheck
13MWZ

Post by 13MWZ »

My first one was a $60 Pinacle combo from Academy. It treated me good. I stepped up to more expensive rods and reels and wouldn't you know that cheep Pinnacle is still one of my favorites.

It's not as smooth and won't cast as far, but works just fine for my fishing style.
duncman

Post by duncman »

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-M ... uct/44657/

This is the reel that i got when i wanted to make the switch, and i will never go back. Its has nice features and is pretty stout.
SouthLlano

Post by SouthLlano »

Thanks for all the feedback. This is very helpful.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

Remember, your rods and reels are tools. Just like a golfer would mot play a round with only one club, a fisherman can't cover every situation with just one outfit. Casters are for muscle and spinners are for finesse ( more or less ) . I usually take both along. Spinning reels throw small baits and popping corks much easier than casters but I don't want to target bull reds with a spinning outfit. If you know what you are going after, chose the right rod and reel to do the job. Remember... its a tool... not THE tool.
Predator130

Post by Predator130 »

Academy does have one of the best baitcasters for the money in the H20 mettle. Read up on it and you'll find that tons of people are really surprised at the performance for the price and if you keep an eye out they often go on sale for 40-50 instead of the normal $60. I have had 2 mettles and a menace and have had great service out of all of them. They cast light lures pretty far and stay smooth for a whole season. (need to oil em up at least once a season).

As for a rod, the H20's are also great. I have been using the Md/hvy and hvy and xtra hvy for frog fishing and spinnerbaits and jigs and have had great success. The xtra hvy is a little unweildy but I'm also throwing 3/4 ounce frogs with it. The hvy and md hvy are super light and have great feel. Also with any of the H20 stuff you can pretty much take it back no questions asked if you have the receipt.

If you want to go more high end the lews speed spool reels are hard to beat and the veritas rods are a great option as well.