Custom Rods

Corona_kayaker

Custom Rods

Post by Corona_kayaker »

So I see that people are having custom rods being made. While I understand this is a preference option, what do y'all look for in a rod. I fish mostly bays, looking for reds, speckle trout, etc. I prefer spinning reel. I have mostly used ugly stick rods, pretty much any inexpensive rod I can find at academy or Wally World. So what should I be looking for, what kind of quality rod should I look for or what should I consider?
kneekap

Re: Custom Rods

Post by kneekap »

Why bother if you are happy with what you can find in stores/online. Custom rods cost considerably more as those builders will use top quality components and give you
any colors you want. It's like a prestige thing IMHO, but it is great to know you have
a one of a kind tool to use. The best thing about getting one made for you is to select
just the right rod action so it will have the characteristics you prefer instead of off
the shelf stuff.
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

I learned my lesson with buying cheaper rods and just got tired of when they either broke, guides rusted, or didn't perform how I thought it would. Even with the more expensive lines I was disappointed with the quality of the guide rings and reels seats used.

To be honest it boils down to preference and how much you want to spend on gear.
Everybody has their reasons as to why they buy one versus the other. With customs you can pick out exactly how your rod will look (color, guides used, wrapping, reel seat, cork or EVA grips, split grip or traditional grip, length, action of the rod, and overall performance of the rod.
Also because you throw with a spinning reel a lighter rod and reel would make your time on the water much more enjoyable.
Chrispyflyguy

Post by Chrispyflyguy »

I started making my own rods because I couldnt find any off the shelf that I liked. I fish with either spinning reels or fly rods, I like the front grip to be longer than the rear grip so I can get a better pivot point when fighting fish, its also more comfortable and the rear handle does not get in the way while casting. I usually build rulers into my rods as well, for example the rod I made for fishing walleye in Michigan has the entire handle length measuring at 15" for quick checking fish size.

Also most rods that you get off the shelf are rather basic looking, I like to add some color to the rods to make them stand out a bit more. I like to use highlight colors on the threads such as a gold highlight with a bright base color. With a custom rod you can pick every detail of how the rod looks and acts, the difference in sensitivity between a rod that has been properly splined and one that has not is quite amazing.
superbovine

Post by superbovine »

I had the same question a couple years ago. I found the article below that answered most of my questions.

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/build-yo ... rod-part-1
Corona_kayaker

Post by Corona_kayaker »

superbovine wrote:I had the same question a couple years ago. I found the article below that answered most of my questions.

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/build-yo ... rod-part-1

Thank you