Tarpon 100

UncleTomahawk

Tarpon 100

Post by UncleTomahawk »

Hey guys im now to this forum and kayak fishing. i just got a wilderness system tarpon 100. has anyone had experience fishing out of one of these? im excited to get out there and fish on it im just looking for what to expect with my new kayak. any advice or input is much appreciated thank yall
crusher

Re: Tarpon 100

Post by crusher »

Welcome.
Organize yourself on the yak - fishgrips, net, rod, anchor, stakeout pole, pliers, etc. all need a place within reach. It's a tight operation compared to any other fishing I've (you've) done.
As for the yak - it's a good little kayak (we have a 120) - stable, ok speed for a short kayak, maneuverable, fine platform for localized fishing. I'd get a longer kayak if I planned on going more than a mile or two each direction.

Being an old guy, I gotta say to always wear your PFD and do an intentional roll of the kayak and make sure you can climb back in before you go very far from launching. Here is a blogpost (I don't know the author) about the subject: http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2014/06 ... kayak.html Be safe.
Post up your experiences and share your catches...
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

My wife has a tarpon 100 and I love it so much I bought a tarpon 140 today. for a short kayak I think it is fairly quick, she leaves me in my slayer 12. I havnt gotten the chance to cast a rod out of it yet so cant comment on how stable it will feel while fishing, sure you will get use to it and know your limitations and like others will tell you always wear your pfd. good luck with it and enjoy
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

For your 1st few outings narrow down your gear to what you really need. Don't mount anything until you have fished out of it and see just where you want everything. A lot of kayakers start out taking everything plus the kitchen sink. I always felt it was best to go minimal and then add as needed. Your paddle and leash, PFD, anchor and line, 1 or 2 plano boxes of tackle and a rod or 2, small cooler for water and snacks, fishgrips (or net) should get you started just fine. Like said before wear your PFD. A lot of good people lost by not wearing it.
Tight lines