Right color of lure

Jperez10

Right color of lure

Post by Jperez10 »

What color of lures would I use in green color water? I live in Deep South texas and I like to fish on the bay. I have recently been fishing at arroyo city and I want to target trout and reds. What colors should I use? Especially at night?
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Right color of lure

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Lure color is not the most important factor. With that said, what you are doing it good because you can start out with something that you know someone caught fish on. ...a proven color for your area. What we're generally doing by using proven colors is borrowing the confidence of past successful fisherman. It's generally more important to Find the fish, then fish confidently and methodically and you'll produce every time. Start with natural colors in clearer water.. done diamond, pumpkin seed chartreuse, and Plum chartreuse but also learn to find the fish 9more important, after you catch a couple on any color you use you'll quickly improve your confidence and then at that point if you can translate that fishing cadence and rhythm with that confidence then you can start trying other colors.

The general rule of color theory that others like teaching guide Steve Soule have said forever is
bright day - bright bait
dark day - dark bait
clear water - natural color
muddy (turbid) water - un-natural color

In the end you'll develop your own confidence colors for your water body or you'll get so go that you'll be able to catch them on any color.

Select proven brands that hold up to saltwater punishment (toothy critters).
KellyWiggler, Tidal Surge, Chicken Boy, Down South Lures.. many others all good and have lots of options.

Chicken on the Chain is good in a lot of conditions
Mansfeild margarita is close to that
Sand is good in clear water
plum char
pumpkinseed char

For night, anything dark is good
Black char
Black red
Pumpkinseed Char
Plum Char
White on a full moon fishing shallow in clear water as well
Jperez10

Post by Jperez10 »

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it!
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

That there is some good info, trout. :idea:
FishNMike

Post by FishNMike »

Chicken on a chain has been my go to color!!!!
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

really good info from Trout Support. I set up 1 3600 Plano box with my favorite go to lures that I have confidence in. Then I have another 3600 box of lures that I have bought but not yet tried. I won't use every lure in box 1 when I go out, I will use what will match the conditions I am fishing as trout support posted. If I am in doubt, I will try to match the bait that is in the water.
Good Luck and Tight Lines
yodaddi

Post by yodaddi »

Tobin, how is a dark color lure effective at nite? wouldn't it camouflage with the darkness of the day? I'm curious.
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

That is a gold mine of information. Nicely done!
spoon

Post by spoon »

and also .. muddy (turbid) water states un natural color--- which would be considered un natural colors? Chartruse? what else? Thanks!
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

Char,Pink, red, purple, orange, yellow and neon colors perhaps.. That's un natural to me.

Browns, black,, grey, white and silver to me is naturals.
Fishbone61

Post by Fishbone61 »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Lure color is not the most important factor. With that said, what you are doing it good because you can start out with something that you know someone caught fish on. ...a proven color for your area. What we're generally doing by using proven colors is borrowing the confidence of past successful fisherman. It's generally more important to Find the fish, then fish confidently and methodically and you'll produce every time. Start with natural colors in clearer water.. done diamond, pumpkin seed chartreuse, and Plum chartreuse but also learn to find the fish 9more important, after you catch a couple on any color you use you'll quickly improve your confidence and then at that point if you can translate that fishing cadence and rhythm with that confidence then you can start trying other colors.

The general rule of color theory that others like teaching guide Steve Soule have said forever is
bright day - bright bait
dark day - dark bait
clear water - natural color
muddy (turbid) water - un-natural color

In the end you'll develop your own confidence colors for your water body or you'll get so go that you'll be able to catch them on any color.

Select proven brands that hold up to saltwater punishment (toothy critters).
KellyWiggler, Tidal Surge, Chicken Boy, Down South Lures.. many others all good and have lots of options.

Chicken on the Chain is good in a lot of conditions
Mansfeild margarita is close to that
Sand is good in clear water
plum char
pumpkinseed char

For night, anything dark is good
Black char
Black red
Pumpkinseed Char
Plum Char
White on a full moon fishing shallow in clear water as well

Great information. Is water clarity or sky conditions a better indicator of lure color selection? Example: Bright Day with Muddy water? Bright Day and Clear Water conditions? Clear water and Cloudy conditions?