Leader line.

Croaker_Killer

Leader line.

Post by Croaker_Killer »

Do you guys use a fluorocarbon leader line when fishing artificials or do ya'll just tie straight to your braid?
el panzon

Re: Leader line.

Post by el panzon »

I like a 12-15" strecth of 20 lb flouro leader attached to my 10 or 12 lb mono line. Learn to tie a good "albright" knot instead of using a swivel (unless youre using a spoon that will spin twist your line...then use a swivel tied to your mono and then atach a piece of flouro (I like longer like 18" with live bait using a non-slip mono loop knot to hook for live bait, a 12" legnth fluoro lead on plastics and a shorter legnth fluoro for spoons. My 2 cents compadre.
Bine

Post by Bine »

And what you're saying is the line or leader is tied directly to the lure, correct? Yall don't clip the lure to a swivel clasp? Something I (think) I'm learning about light tackle and fresh water is that the swivel clasp can spook the fish or give away that the lure is a lure and not food. It works best to tie the lure directly to the line or leader, and use a swivel for the leader to the main line, if at all, correct?
AHP

Post by AHP »

Here is my line rig.

Standard Setup (Hard or soft lures)
#30 Fins Braided (Windtamer) --> double uni knot --> 2' 15lbs test Seaguard invizx fluorocarbon leader --> improved clinch knot --> Barrel Swivel with Interlock Snap (I do not see loss of action) --> Lure

Trolling w/ Spoon
25lbs test Mono Berkley, P-Line or Cajun Line --> improved clinch knot --> swivel --> improved clinch knot --> 2' 15lbs test Seaguard invizx fluorocarbon leader --> improved clinch knot --> Spoon

I try to change my line out ever year or two depending on my activity.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

For clear water (Rockport to Corpus) yes.
I use 10, 15, and 20lb braid (depending on which reel) with 25lb flouro. and I have learned that uni to uni is better than albright.

For mud/murky water or in the marsh, I use straight braid.
Croaker_Killer

Post by Croaker_Killer »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to tie straight on since I am mainly fishing West Bay, chocolate bay and pierce marsh. Hopefully I can come across some trout and throw both ways to see which is best. Thanks for all the advice though.
el panzon

Post by el panzon »

Lot's of great advice here. Why I love this forum and can't believe I have been away for so long.

I am a crappy knot tier. Having said that I gave up on the double uni, I know its not a difficult knot but my brain for whatever reason struggles with it.

I love the albright BUT when braid to mono or braid to flouro I use the "Crazy Alberto"...similar to albright but doubles back accross and creates what has been described as a "chinese finger handcuff" affect...if you ever used those things as a kid at a carnival or fair. I love it. Look it up on YouTube.

One thing is for sure...every fisherman ties a knot a little different. Whether they hold it differently or whatever...you need to find the right video tutorial that worls "with your brain".

My additional 2 cents. Thats 4 cents now!
Croaker_Killer wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to tie straight on since I am mainly fishing West Bay, chocolate bay and pierce marsh. Hopefully I can come across some trout and throw both ways to see which is best. Thanks for all the advice though.
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

el panzon, that "Crazy Alberto" knot you are talking about is also known as a Modified Albright. You are right though. The knot is tiny, and very easy to tie on the water. For braid to mono /flouro I use the Modified Albright. For braid to swivel, I use a single uni knot and from braid to a lure or jig head, I use a loop knot. Those 3 knots are all easy to tie on the water and will cover any situation that I use knots in.
AHP

Post by AHP »

Here is something else to add...

Use non flavored chapstick on the line right before you tighten the knot. Most of the time people will use spit.
SW wadefish

Post by SW wadefish »

I tie a flouro leader to my braid. Used to use the Albright, but have recently switched to a Surgeons knot. Its the same knot used to tie tippet to a leader when fly fishing. Typically I run about 5-6' of leader so if I'm changing lures a lot I don't have to re-tie my leader. Albright is great, just switched to Suregeons because it's even smaller and goes through the eyelets a lot more smoothly.
TravelingFisheer

Post by TravelingFisheer »

Braid to leader, triple surgeons knot is my go to. Easy to tie and holds well.