Kayak Positioning related to Tides/Current

geauxwin1

Kayak Positioning related to Tides/Current

Post by geauxwin1 »

I'm not new to "fishing" in general, but very green with regard to saltwater(flats, bays, etc). I recently got the kayak fishing "bug" while spending nearly 1 month here in SPI. Boat positioning with regard to current has never been a big issue back home as I primarily fished freshwater rivers and lakes. Hoping you could spare some tips/techniques as to kayak positioning as it relates to the tide and current.

For example, when fishing shallow flats; is it typical for predatory fish to position themselves in deeper water and wait for bait fish who are being carried out with the tide? Is it best to position the kayak in deeper water and cast back into the flats bringing it out in the direction of the current? Is it productive to fish perpendicular to the tide and work the edges of grass? I'm currently using the fan cast methods employed in freshwater to find fish, but want to maximize my time in the appropriate zone.

After getting skunked at the crowded jetties and run off by tons of hard head catfish, I broke down and bought a kayak. Its safe to say that I now have an addiction, since have some success throwing top waters in the late evening. Any tips would be appreciated.
crusher

Re: Kayak Positioning related to Tides/Current

Post by crusher »

Welcome to the addiction.

I'm not knowledgable enough to answer the fish behavior questions with authority, but some reading and searching here will get you started until someone better than me can answer. Sounds like your thoughts are sound, though.
Snookfish

Re: Kayak Positioning related to Tides/Current

Post by Snookfish »

In general i try and position my yak so that I can cast and the bait will be taken too the fish. I do not paddle over an area and then try and fish back to it. Sounds basic I know but I see newer people make that mistake a lot and then wonder why they don't hook up. It's very similar to fishing in a riverine you have mostly done freshwater. The fish like to swim with the current but the predator fish like reds will get in a small current break and face the current waiting to ambush the bait/lure. Sometimes this means casting across, not against, the current and working your lure so that it's still close to a natural presentation as possible.