braided to mono knot?

bloozeharp

braided to mono knot?

Post by bloozeharp »

I am planning on going the suffix 832 for several of my reels, and noticed on a post, that it is recommended to put mono for the 1st couple of wraps on a reel then the 832. Is this standard procedure or is this a preference for some. What kind of knot is recommended to go from mono to braided, or flouro. to braided? Thanks.
Sinbad

Re: braided to mono knot?

Post by Sinbad »

I just started using braid this year and tied mono to the reel with an arbor knot made a few wraps and then tied the mono to braid using a double uni knot. I first tried tying the braid to the reel and it would slip.

I then tied a 4 foot flouro carbon leader to the braid (double uni). I put 8 wraps on the 30# braid and 5 wraps on the flouro carbon leader. It's worked well for me with no problems.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I have heard of braid slipping on spools, but have never experienced it despite spooling many reels with straight braid. However, after hearing about the possibility of the braid slipping I now usually start with a couple full wraps of mono on the spool under the braid. I like the modified Albright knot for all braid to mono connections. A lil dab of super glue makes it extra nice.
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

I back the spool with a few yards of mono before the braid. As far as a good braid to mono knot, the Modified Albright is super easy to tie and is a much smaller knot than the uni to uni. I have been doing both of those things for 5 years now and have yet to have a failure.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Braid to mono mod albright uni, braid to spool anchor with a rubber band and arbor knot
DIY

Post by DIY »

In the past using braid I never experienced a slip when line was directly attached to the reel. One thing I noticed upon first starting out with bass fishing that my first time using a uni knot was braid to mono.. The braid I noticed peeled off my reel a lot faster then mono or any other. Just an idea for you.

I'll be doing this soon again with my new reel coming in. I go through a lot of line so the braid backing with mono or etc attached helps a lot. I only have to reel spool maybe 35-40 yds at times.

Good luck and tight lines to you.

To add: my reel literally just came in, so off to Bass Pro I go for line and pole.
Last edited by DIY on Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

Crazy alberto
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

I've read you can tie braid directly to a spool if you first adhere a layer of electrical tape to the spool (gives the braid something to dig into)... All my spinners have mono backing and I use a Double Grinner... It may seem difficult at first... But now I am a pro at that knot and LOVE IT...!
DIY

Post by DIY »

Yak'Razy wrote:I've read you can tie braid directly to a spool if you first adhere a layer of electrical tape to the spool (gives the braid something to dig into)... All my spinners have mono backing and I use a Double Grinner... It may seem difficult at first... But now I am a pro at that knot and LOVE IT...!
Might have to look in that electrical idea. Seems legit enough.
Roy

Post by Roy »

macjank7 wrote:Crazy alberto
:clap:

Easiest knot to tie and one of the most secure knots I have ever used!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I have been using one layer of duct tape on my spools before tying the braid to the spool. Have been down to the knot a few times and no slippage under fish pressure. Yep I like small reels that are sometimes a bit light for the fish that is caught.
J.O'Kelley

Post by J.O'Kelley »

bloozeharp wrote:I am planning on going the suffix 832 for several of my reels, and noticed on a post, that it is recommended to put mono for the 1st couple of wraps on a reel then the 832. Is this standard procedure or is this a preference for some. What kind of knot is recommended to go from mono to braided, or flouro. to braided? Thanks.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch this video ^^^^^ best braid to leader knot ever. ( I highly recommend a flouro or mono leader when using braid) but as far as spool slippage. Just a few yards of about 15-20 # mono tied to braid with uni to uni, make sure braid is wrapped about 2x as many times as mono is.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

DIY wrote:
Yak'Razy wrote:I've read you can tie braid directly to a spool if you first adhere a layer of electrical tape to the spool (gives the braid something to dig into)... All my spinners have mono backing and I use a Double Grinner... It may seem difficult at first... But now I am a pro at that knot and LOVE IT...!
Might have to look in that electrical idea. Seems legit enough.
Only problem with tape is it traps water under it. I tie straight too the spool and then a 6' fluro shock leader with a dry albright knot. If I got time I'll tie it to a post and run all the line out and reel it back in using the drag to keep tension, seems too lay on the spool better.
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

Download the app knot wars...it's free on iPhone and DROID so u can use it while you're out if you need it
chasing tailz

Post by chasing tailz »

[quote="bloozeharp"]I am planning on going the suffix 832 for several of my reels, and noticed on a post, that it is recommended to put mono for the 1st couple of wraps on a reel then the 832. Is this standard procedure or is this a preference for some. What kind of knot is recommended to go from mono to braided, or flouro. to braided? Thanks.[/quot

I use suffix braid also. I tie the braid straight to the spool and I used to have problems with the line slipping. Now when I tie my braid on I put a small dot of super glue and I don't slip anymore. Just make sure the glue is completely dry so it don't stick to your other line when you fill your spool. And if your spool is metal the glue will easily remove with your finger nail or pocket knife.
SmithFamilyTackle

braided to mono knot?

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

The reel-used anywhere from 5 to 25 yards of monofilament for backing, then tie a Albright knot. Put a drop of superglue on the knot or tie I Clovehitch on the end of the monofilament.

The leader:
This is an easy one because I've been testing these knots for a long time. Braid to mono
Do a Binnimi twists on the braid then tie a double line
Modified Albright knot
rms2005

Post by rms2005 »

i always use a wrap of electrical tape and then run the braid in the middle of a thick phone book placed in a vice to load it on there nice and tight, sure helps out after getting snagged or catching a good fish.
SmithFamilyTackle

rms2005 wrote:i always use a wrap of electrical tape and then run the braid in the middle of a thick phone book placed in a vice to load it on there nice and tight, sure helps out after getting snagged or catching a good fish.
A knot that is over tightened has a higher probability of breaking.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

My own version of modified albtight/crazy alberto. 4 loops out, 2 criss crossed loops, 5 tight loops toward and back through... wet and cinch snug. Cut tag ends and melt them if possible.
SmithFamilyTackle

SAHunter1983 wrote:My own version of modified albtight/crazy alberto. 4 loops out, 2 criss crossed loops, 5 tight loops toward and back through... wet and cinch snug. Cut tag ends and melt them if possible.
Melting is good. I use the Berkeley line cutter it melts it good. I put a mushroom cap and smeared together
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Melting it is a little tougher on the yak though. :)
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

In 9 years of using 65 braid tied to 20-30 lb mono, I have never had a failure with the Albright knot.......and I have been pulled up to 2 miles with this knot under stress.
gerARRGH

Post by gerARRGH »

Another vote for the crazy Alberto knot.
I've had the braid snap before the knot.
SW wadefish

Post by SW wadefish »

I use a surgeons knot, both for attaching braid to my backing and flouro leader to braid. Fly fishermen have been using this knot to add tippet to a leader for years. It's fast, easy and very strong. I also think its smaller than an Albright. Google how to tie, but its simple. I go through the "loop" 3x instead of 2x.
SmithFamilyTackle

SW wadefish wrote:I use a surgeons knot, both for attaching braid to my backing and flouro leader to braid. Fly fishermen have been using this knot to add tippet to a leader for years. It's fast, easy and very strong. I also think its smaller than an Albright. Google how to tie, but its simple. I go through the "loop" 3x instead of 2x.
Great knot for flyfishing just not that strong for braided leaders.
In knot test a twist with an alright has been the strongest.