braided to mono knot?

Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: braided to mono knot?

Post by Thinwater skinner »

bloozeharp wrote:I am planning on going the suffix 832 for several of my reels, and noticed on a post, that it is recommended to put mono for the 1st couple of wraps on a reel then the 832. Is this standard procedure or is this a preference for some. What kind of knot is recommended to go from mono to braided, or flouro. to braided? Thanks.
If you have a spool with has a hole through the stem then you won't need the backing. but no hole then the braid will slip on the spool and you will not have any hook setting power or drag when the fish takes off.
Bigguy49

Post by Bigguy49 »

As kind of a question about braided line I loaded up my spinning rig with braid and was doing a little practice out in the yard,
Afterwards I noticed fraying around the first 5 or 6 inches of line around the practice plug , that makes Me a little
uncomfortable with the line, what happens when you hook into an aggressive fish anyone have opinions and experiences
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

SmithFamilyTackle wrote:
SAHunter1983 wrote:My own version of modified albtight/crazy alberto. 4 loops out, 2 criss crossed loops, 5 tight loops toward and back through... wet and cinch snug. Cut tag ends and melt them if possible.
Melting is good. I use the Berkeley line cutter it melts it good. I put a mushroom cap and smeared together
Didobo on that, modified that Berkeley lime cutter for 110. Make all of our rigs with it.
That mushroom is enough to save you.
TravelingFisheer

Post by TravelingFisheer »

SW wadefish wrote:I use a surgeons knot, both for attaching braid to my backing and flouro leader to braid. Fly fishermen have been using this knot to add tippet to a leader for years. It's fast, easy and very strong. I also think its smaller than an Albright. Google how to tie, but its simple. I go through the "loop" 3x instead of 2x.
Triple surgeons knot for me also
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

Junction knots now greatly exceed the point where breaking issues are much of a factor, so an FG or a uni-to-uni, or an Alberto/Albright and others will all work really well.

The strongest, by far, is the FG knot though, again, this is almost a theoretical point, not a practical one.

But, here is what IS practical, that is, it actually affects our fishing:

A uni-to-uni knot is one line wrapped around two lines for a value of 3.

An Albright is one line wrapped around 2, then back down wrapping the wrap in the other direction for a value of 4.

An FG knot is simply two lines interwoven for a value of 2.

At first glance, it would appear there is less surface friction owing to less wrapping going on, yet the knot is about a third again stronger than the thicker common junction knots.

The end result is REMARKABLE in consideration of this knot's thickness. It looks visibly no wider than either of the two lines, the leader or the mainline, joined by it. It is that slim.

Here is the best method I have seen to tie it, the one I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw

Brad