Fish attractant light decisions??

bksnaz

Fish attractant light decisions??

Post by bksnaz »

I am looking to add some green(or UV type) fish attractant lighting to my kayak fishing arsenal. However I am unsure of which way to go. I already have some blue led strip lighting installed on the bow of the PA14. This assists with shoreline viewing and added visibility protection from boats. Do I add more strip lighting to the bow or some area on the yak? or go with a sealed drop in water design? I also thought about placing strips in the hobie PA gunnel areas under the yak but I use a PVC rack for garage storage at the present time, so I think that is out.
At this point I am wondering which lights are the best at attracting the food chain. I have been looking at Supernova, Wildcat and Fishinglights company products. Wildcat has these new UVW led strips that claims to have some awesome science behind it. The Supernova tubes look great as well. The tubes from FishingLights Company look good as well. At this point I am leaning toward the tube style to avoid more drilling / wiring / etc. But in the end I want the best attractant light period that I can run from a 12V source from a yak. I am fishing only freshwater for bass, crappie, catfish and stripers mainly.
Appreciate any thoughts / opinions on what has worked best for you over the years. Summertime is coming and I want to be ready. Thanks ahead of time..
Brian
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Fish attractant light decisions??

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I think the technology you are talking about may be too new to accurately evaluate... do a lot of research and see if you can talk to someone that has them. Fish are attracted to the food chain light draws to it. The bugs fly to the light, bugs fall in water, they draw small baitfish; baitfish draw bigger fish.

Good luck on your search
bksnaz

Post by bksnaz »

Thanks troutsupport - everyone else must be out fishing.. :P
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

I would not put lights on my kayak to attract fish to me. Reason being that there are plenty of green and flood lights around Galveston Bay Complex to find fish.

Another reason is that in my experience you want to be "invisible" to the fish to be able to sneak on them very close for doing the perfect cast and avoid spooking them. I even put a glove on my 360 light to put as much light out of my yak and get 10ft or less away the green/floodlight when I cast.

However, on those places that green lights are not available I have brought my own to entice the fish to get to my spot. It works fine, but you have to wait n wait n wait until the big predators arrive to the buffet table. I did this on the Galveston Causeway and plan to do it again at Confederate.

The light is a submersible one that cost around $20 at Academy.

Just my opinion. Others like the light show of the wildcats and other non-brand LED's.
Shaun Russell

Post by Shaun Russell »

I've had SuperNova lights for a while now and they do a great job of drawing fish and making my kayak more visible to power boaters. Before you buy I suggest you try to get all the lights together. I had the wildcats first, but the SuperNovas were so much more bright I got them instead.
slinginbugs

Post by slinginbugs »

:horse: you don't need lights all the time I cast soft plastics in the bayous and bay system where theirs no lights still catching fish . But when I do use lights I go to them not bringing them with me . :twisted: Ps if you know where the fish are and the tide is right you will catch them .
Electricyak

Post by Electricyak »

uploadfromtaptalk1410213382665.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410213340487.jpg
Electricyak

Post by Electricyak »

Forgot to add comment.

I have wildcat lighting on mine. Front to back with the switches right above compass. Very bright and very visible. Great product.