maggots around Houston

zebug

maggots around Houston

Post by zebug »

Greetings all, I'm new to fishing the Houston area, I was born and raised outside of Pittsburgh where we often use 4-5 maggots on a bare hook to catch crappie, bluegill, perch and even trout (especially through the ice when ice fishing. I popped into a couple random bait stores in Houston and the guys there didn't even know what I was talking about.

Does anyone know where one can buy some maggots around the Houston area.. My search pattern can include Conroe to Galveston also...
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: maggots around Houston

Post by texnomad »

Probably have to grow your own.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

You can get Meal Worms or Wax Worms from a pet store (like Pet Co) and they are pretty much the same thing.
zebug

Post by zebug »

good call on the wax worms, I'll start looking for those also. Meal worms just don't do it like a maggot does for the panfish.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment so growing my own would be tough.

On that note, how do folk around here go after bluegills & bream? I took my 6 year old out and we caught about 30 on a dry fly at Bouroughs park in Spring (all small and was just catching them to have fun with my son).
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

Small crank baits, small tops, and 1/16oz curly tail jigs worked like a tiny swim bait (I tie 2-3 on for a schoolie presentation) will give you a lot of fun. Night crawlers, grubs, meal worms, crickets and tiny live frogs work like a charm also.

-Poo