What to look for..

Corona_kayaker

What to look for..

Post by Corona_kayaker »

Maybe a stupid question, but how do I identify guts, shallow area, etc when I am fishing?

I always hear people tell me fish the guts, or the channels, but how do I know when I am over them while fishing..

How do I know where the potholes are.. Any feedback is appreciated
Attachments
I can see the shallow and dark spots on google map, but don't see this while I am out there, or maybe I'm not looking good enough.
I can see the shallow and dark spots on google map, but don't see this while I am out there, or maybe I'm not looking good enough.
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Re: What to look for..

Post by Big Kahuna »

A gut can be 6" or 6' depending on the area. It is an ambush point. In cc I fish all sand spots because trout will hang off the edge waiting for mullet to cross into the spot. In your pix I would fish the prop scar and sand spots and all areas where the grass drops off to deeper water. Once I get a bite find out how deep and start to make a pattern. Also look for bait. If bait is holding I would throw there first. A gut can be the size of your kitchen table or the length of your street. It basically refers to a change in depth giving the predator a point of ambush. Hope this helps
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

It can be hard to tell on the water without a depth finder. In Galveston the water is not usually clear enough to see the bottom. Two things that might help.

1 - a color change, if the water gets deeper quickly sometimes the water looks darker where it get's deep
2 - smooth water, the ripples and little waves that are usually on the water will change when the depth of the water changes, when the water looks flatter it's usually deeper

Potholes you pretty much have to see. When the water gets lighter it could mean it's a shallow spot or it could mean there is a break in the grass and you see sand and it's a pothole. The more you checkout the better your guesses will be.

These are not fool-proof but they are one more thing to help you figure things out on the water.

Fargo
Corona_kayaker

Post by Corona_kayaker »

What's y'all opinion on fish finders/ depth finder?
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

You mainly fish the Llm around south padre or port Mansfield I suppose. I wouldn't get much use out of a depth finder down there.

Identifying guts and other underwater features just takes practice. The advantage you have is that you're in the clearest water in the state. Like said above, depth changes are primarily identified by color. Guts and other deeper areas are usually darker or a deeper shade of the surrounding color. Guts in shallow grass flats may appear lighter though. Sand pockets in the grass are seen a light colors against a darker background of grass even though the pockets are slightly deeper than the surrounding grass. If you want practice look over the edge of the SPI causeway while someone else drives. Do it on a day when the wind has been low for a while.

When you're crossing, you should be able to I'd the ship channel and then notice the water getting shallower as you come toward the other side. Looking to the right, you should notice a color change parallel to the island an about 200 yards offshore where the shallower flats start. A good example of a gut can be seen on the right also. About 1/4 of the way from the bridge to the koa there's a gut that starts on the edge of the flat and goes almost all the way to the bank. (Nice reds in there at times too).

Spend some time practicing. Find color changes and imagine what that means in termagant of bottom structure and depth and then paddle over and see if you're right. Pretty soon you will be. Wading also helps you learn a lot because you have constant feedback on bottom type and depth.
emtp101
Location: Lasara Tx, fish Port Mansfield or anywhere in beautiful LLM

Post by emtp101 »

Corona_kayaker wrote:What's y'all opinion on fish finders/ depth finder?
If your fishing here at Port Mansfield or any area of the lower Laguna Madre a fish finder is a waste of $$, get a good pair of polarized glasses (Costa's 580 green lenses) and start to learn color changes in the water. Any drop off could be a few inches to a few feet, usually fish are holding up in the grass beds ready to strike on prey swimming by a pothole, drop off, prop cut.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Corona_kayaker wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but how do I identify guts, shallow area, etc when I am fishing?

I always hear people tell me fish the guts, or the channels, but how do I know when I am over them while fishing..

How do I know where the potholes are.. Any feedback is appreciated
Read this MANY TIMES and open up not only Google Maps, but Bing Maps Eye View.

http://tailtailsigns.com/tips-and-artic ... e-a-marsh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Next tip!

Get the iPhone Navionics Marine and Lakes ASAP!

Spend some time to place your markers on the guts, shell, and drains that catch your eye on Google or Bing. Then go fishing!

Use Navionics to find when you are passing over the markers you placed.