Kayak fishing tips needed

Corona_kayaker

Kayak fishing tips needed

Post by Corona_kayaker »

Tired of the Skunk Monster on my back for the past year, what do y'all suggest for catching reds and trouts. While on my kayak, where should I look for the fish. What are the secrets? I usually use a 7 foot rod with spin caster, tried gulp and other lures, but can't seem to set the hook.

Thanks for the info..
Tombo

Re: Kayak fishing tips needed

Post by Tombo »

If in Rockport area, send me a PM. Best I can tell you is put more time in with some one else. For plastics I prefer Gulp Crazy Legs and if Pinfish become a problem, Salt Water Assasins 5" with the slit in the belly and rig it weedless with a worm style hook. Don't sit too long in one place, move around and see what is happening.
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

I posted Pirate Jim's fishing tip check it out!
Or you can send me a PM
Corona_kayaker

Post by Corona_kayaker »

Ok, thank you
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

I hv not purchased plugs for my yak. Is this something I need to do before I take it out this winter?
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

CoastieCulture wrote:I hv not purchased plugs for my yak. Is this something I need to do before I take it out this winter?
No most kayak company's design the kayaks so the water doesn't splash up ,some come do have a little splash easily fixed. If you scoffer plugs or practice from golf balls. I say what till your take your maiden voyage and go from there.

I have a little water on me from my paddle and from the fish from washing my hands in the water, it's all apart of the experience.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

There is a lot of information on this site already covered on other posts. Determine what your questions is and make is as simple as possible to eliminate a lot of unwanted posted.

Look at the very top bar above where it says view new post. there is a search button. Hit is and start your info search.

Good Luck
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

The biggest thing in avoiding the skunk is weeding out unproductive water (and in the winter, weeding out unproductive days based on weather and tide).

Here are some keys to doing that, and yes, use the search function to get more.

Trout and reds like structure. That structure is what holds the baitfish, crabs, and shrimp. It's the food chain. Structure in the bay can be a lot of things... it's mostly either oyster reefs or something related to the sea grass like grass with a mud bottom, the edge of the grass, a pothole in the grass, or scattered grass. A drop off is another structure and so is a change in bottom texture many times. These are all ambush points for predators to attack prey.

Combine that with finding their food in those areas and knowing what that looks like and being able to ascertain if its there or not within 15 minutes is the next part. If it's not there, keep moving. 90% of the water has no fish. If you are getting skunked you are spending too much time in the 90% area and not enough time in the 10% area. But just knowing the spots to go is not the answer to weeding out the 90%. Thing is that those fish move often, daily, even up to 25 miles so conditions and productive areas change daily. There are a few rare spots that are more consistent, but even those will let you down in a moments notice if you don't know how to read the water.

All the above is contained in the TroutSupport.com DVD's. The cool thing is that you get to see what we look for with our eyes and you'll train yours on what to look for and where. You can read about it all day long, a lot of it is on this great site, but seeing it on the videos will allow you to break the typical learning curve much faster. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of testimonials on this site and others about them. We even offer a money back guarantee if you already know what's on the DVD or don't think you've for some reason didn't get they value. Wether you get them or not is entirely up to you, i'll help you as much as I can to learn so you can TKO that skunk.
T
Corona_kayaker

Post by Corona_kayaker »

TroutSupport.com wrote:The biggest thing in avoiding the skunk is weeding out unproductive water (and in the winter, weeding out unproductive days based on weather and tide).

All the above is contained in the TroutSupport.com DVD's. The cool thing is that you get to see what we look for with our eyes and you'll train yours on what to look for and where. You can read about it all day long, a lot of it is on this great site, but seeing it on the videos will allow you to break the typical learning curve much faster. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of testimonials on this site and others about them. We even offer a money back guarantee if you already know what's on the DVD or don't think you've for some reason didn't get they value. Wether you get them or not is entirely up to you, i'll help you as much as I can to learn so you can TKO that skunk.
T
I kept reading the testimony and finally decided to bite the bullet. I ordered the DVDs last night. I'll keep you posted...
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Good thing... here's another that came in last night from a guy in south Texas. He bought them about a year ago.

"I finally got on the H2O for a little bit today & it was great. I used some of the recon tools & techniques from your DVD's to try a new spot based on the colder H2O temps / time of year & got a limit of specks right away!vI'm a happy camper! Thanks for a Great Product, Tobin!" Mike Almendariz