length vs width

bream_buster

length vs width

Post by bream_buster »

Looking into getting a yak for fishing. The two im looking at at the moment seem to fit my needs just fine. Just need help deciding on width vs length. One is a perception sport scout from academy at 12' x 30.75" and the other is a emotion renegade xt 10' x 36". I plan on sitting low for paddling then bringing a chair im gonna make to sit higher while fishing. Im on the light side. 150lbs so i dont need alot of yak. Atleast I think I dont lol. I kinda want the scout 12 but for $100 less I can get a decent kayak and have some money left over for more goodies.... what are you ya'lls thoughts?
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: length vs width

Post by mpg2yahoo »

bream_buster wrote:Looking into getting a yak for fishing. The two im looking at at the moment seem to fit my needs just fine. Just need help deciding on width vs length. One is a perception sport scout from academy at 12' x 30.75" and the other is a emotion renegade xt 10' x 36". I plan on sitting low for paddling then bringing a chair im gonna make to sit higher while fishing. Im on the light side. 150lbs so i dont need alot of yak. Atleast I think I dont lol. I kinda want the scout 12 but for $100 less I can get a decent kayak and have some money left over for more goodies.... what are you ya'lls thoughts?
Seems you value more the stability side, so the 36" width will be far superior than the 30.75" to allow you to sit higher with the seat you plan to develop. If you plan to paddle short distances you should be fine with the emotion renegade.

If you want to go faster the longer and narrower the better.

Would be good to know the kind of fishing you plan doing so people can help better with their opinions.
bream_buster

Post by bream_buster »

I plan on doing some saltwater fishing mainly prien lake and lake Charles.
gwinyak

Post by gwinyak »

If you plan on doing a lot of lake fishing and prefer stability, then go with the Renegade. However, having experience with both kayaks, I can tell you that compared to the perception, the renegade handles like a bathtub. If you want a great 10ft yak and like the emotion brand, go with the emotion stealth/temptation.
bream_buster

Post by bream_buster »

I have no experience with the emotion brand. I just seen it and liked it. Couldnt find many reviews on it. Im gonna try to demo a few and see how a 30" yak will be. I wont be paddling far but I mainly just wanna be able to sit up when my back or knees need a break
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

How high do you expect to be sitting while fishing? Less stable the higher you go... Then you set the hook and wammo your in the drink...
bream_buster

Post by bream_buster »

I dont plan on sitting that high. Probably about 6" above the top like the pro angler or ascend fs128t. I dont have a bad hookset where im all over the place. If I feel its unsafe then ill lower the seat. But my main concern is comfort
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

Grab a Wildy Ride advanced 135 and get it all. Length width and a sturdy stable high seat
bigredneck

Post by bigredneck »

The perception from personal use is a great yak, it tracks well and a pretty stable ride. I don't know about setting a chair on it, but did set the Jackson chair on it. Besides it just didn't look right, I could see it becoming very unstable. I put the perception through some rough open water and some fast moving creeks, it's a great low budget kayak. The length really helps on tracking and speed, the 12 is Prefered more for all around fishing. I would use a 10 more in creeks, rivers, small water.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

Hmmmm.... I think I saw the same question being asked on the cover of my wife's "Cosmo" magazine :-D

Sorry... couldn't resist...

I've paddled a lot o yaks... its nice to have the added stability and storage with a wider yak, but the speed of the longer yaks is also very desirable... I thought I would get the best of both worlds in a Cuda 14... but it just isn't anywhere as fast as my Tarpon 160... regardless... I want to stand at times... and I can't do that in the Tarpon.
Last edited by Yak'Razy on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

If you want to look at some of the Malibu Kayaks I can show you and even demo some
You can sit on the X-tank if you want or stand and fish
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383581356.022822.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383581410.807919.jpg
X-Factor
Mini-X
Stealth-14
In the pics
TexasToast

Post by TexasToast »

Yak'Razy wrote:Hmmmm.... I think I saw the same question being asked on the cover of my wife's "Cosmo" magazine :-D

Sorry... couldn't resist...

I've paddled a lot o yaks... its nice to have the added stability and storage with a wider yak, but the speed of the longer yaks is also very desirable... I thought I would get the best of both worlds in a Cuda 14... but it just isn't anywhere as fast as my Tarpon 160... regardless... I want to stand at times... and I can't do that in the Tarpon.
Thought the same thing XD Funny title hahah
DIY

Post by DIY »

bream_buster wrote:I dont plan on sitting that high. Probably about 6" above the top like the pro angler or ascend fs128t. I dont have a bad hookset where im all over the place. If I feel its unsafe then ill lower the seat. But my main concern is comfort
A lot different when your on the kayak. What I've noticed so far that is. A highly do recommend 7 ft poles, my love of the 6'6 poles might be out of the window due to my loosing of a lot of fish for the hook set part. Good luck to you. Oh yeah go with that Scout.