Which net should I buy?

ry3737

Which net should I buy?

Post by ry3737 »

Hello again! Thanks to all who responded the first go around. I'm slowly getting my gear in order so I should be ready to go here in a couple weeks.

I was wondering something. Which is the best net to buy? I can't spend a ton of money on it, I just want something that is compact and floats. I started doing a ebay search but that gave me a headache. That's why I ask you all out there!

It might be a stupid question, but I'm sure I'm not the only noob to ask it!

Thanks all!
herefishyfishy80

Re: Which net should I buy?

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

Academy has one for $20. It's black with black foam or you can pick up the orange one they have. I think that one runs a bit more.
Both of these float and are fairly inexpensive.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Get one of those green landing nets with long wood handle, buy an orange buoy $2 at Academy, cut the handle to the desire length, drill a hole in the back, attach a piece or rope and buoy.

Cheap and inexpensive landing net! Not the most stylish one, but functional. You can even put marks on the long wood handle to help you check the length of keeper fish.

I really don't use the landing net that much. I only take it with me when I go to a place where I know there are stringrays. I use the net to be able to unhook the stingray without getting sting.

I use a fishing grip. I would recommend a boga grip better because its a pain in the neck to put the grip I have into the fish mouth most of the time.
Attachments
grip.jpg
grip.jpg (5.96 KiB) Viewed 9515 times
boga_grip.jpg
boga_grip.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 9515 times
ry3737

Post by ry3737 »

Thanks for all the ideas! I know it is an easy question but you guys are the experts. I'm just getting started!
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

RyanM wrote:Thanks for all the ideas! I know it is an easy question but you guys are the experts. I'm just getting started!

No expert.... We all learn as we go along. Lots of great info on this site!
Also adapt to things that will make life easier when on the water :lol:
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

I bought the black floating net from Academy. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but no matter what it was, it was worth it. I just spent a week fishing the surf and had it hanging from my wading belt with a plastic clip. It held the whole time, while my plastic expanding bait bucket and foam ring (I'm a sucker for new and cool looking) both broke just from the waves hitting them over and over.

Just my two cents.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have two of the rubber mesh nets designed to reduce hooks getting tangled. The net with the larger holes definitely is better as far as hooks hanging up. Both of mine are made by Ego.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

X2 on the rubber. Besides not having to untangle hooks from the net, I think that rubber nets are a whole lot kinder to the fish. You don't end up killing them in the summer from them fighting past exhaustion while you try to land them, and you can net the fish, unhook it, and hold it in the water while you get out the camera. A quick click of the shutter and the fish is released with a minimum of stress. I really believe the thick rubber is easier on their slime coat than a fabric mesh. Another big plus, if you fly fish, is that you can hang the rubber net over your forward rod holder (assuming you use one) to keep it from fouling your fly line if you cast from a sidesaddle position. Don't ask how I figured that out.....
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Yeah, Ego nets are what we use too for wading and I carry one on the kayak. They float already without having to attach a bunch of stuff to them and they are reasonably compact. They also offer different sizes.

The Boga grip is invaluable but they are expensive if you are on a budget. That IS one thing that you do want to attach a float to if you get one.
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

I say just get some fish grips, one day ill get bogas when i have a little more expendable money, the grips are like 14bucks i think
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

I like Fish grips as well. Go with the bogs or yak gear grip, just put a leash on them. If you drop it you won't lose it or the fish.

If you get a net make sure it Big enough for the fish you're going to catch ( ie flounder or bull reds. If it doesn't float it ok that is why we have bullies.

Side tip: you can cut a pool noodle in slices and put it around rim and handle. It will flow just fine I would also put a leash on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383195520.098934.jpg
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

image.jpg
I'm right there with you ! Bought this net at academy today and I ordered this PDF . Ill be ready to hit the water soon.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Here's the net!
Attachments
image.jpg
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

That looks like the same pfd I just bought from ack and the same net but mine us all black.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Nice djrodeo! Lets go fish!
Airborne173x

Post by Airborne173x »

CoastieCulture wrote:
image.jpg
I'm right there with you ! Bought this net at academy today and I ordered this PDF . Ill be ready to hit the water soon.

I just bought this same PFD a few weeks back from ACK. It's pretty awesome! I think it's great so far! Pockets are awesome and the fact they double as little tabletops is a huge plus when you're out on the water!

You'll be happy with your choice!