What size line should I use?

OneInchShy

What size line should I use?

Post by OneInchShy »

I've always been in the Tim Taylor "MORE POWER!!" camp when it comes to fishing line, spooling my reels with the max recommended weight (i.e. 14# on my Citica, 17# on my Ambassadeur 5500). Is there ever a time not to use the max recommended weight? Thanks in advance for the help.
ksig512

Re: What size line should I use?

Post by ksig512 »

I use 12lb. Fluorocarbon on my citicas and curados when bay fishing. with a small barrel swivel and a 20lb. Leader.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

Adjust your line to what you're fishing for, or how you're fishing. I'm a minimalist and use the lightest line possible. Your drag is your friend.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

It depends to the type of fish you are after and the type of water you will be fishing. Freshwater I might go as low as #12, but for saltwater around bays I do #30 braided with a #20 or #30 leader fluoro.

For BTB I think people go higher > #50 braided taking into consideration that braided can act as a knife when fighting a big fish or shark.

Just describe the type of fishing you plan to do so people can better help you with their answers.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Tallgrass07 wrote:Adjust your line to what you're fishing for, or how you're fishing. I'm a minimalist and use the lightest line possible. Your drag is your friend.
And the shells and pilings your enemy! :lol:

Get a leader to avoid getting your lines cut like butter on those types of situations. Fluorocarbon #20 or #30 are better to respond to coarse abrasion. 16" to 24" leader is enough. Tie with a uni to uni knot.
weapon11

Post by weapon11 »

This is a question I've been wondering myself I'm new to fishing and in the past I have just got what was recommended After doing some research I'm rigging my citica and caenan with mono to (15lbs) braid and see how that goes... What about color ??
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

weapon11 wrote:This is a question I've been wondering myself I'm new to fishing and in the past I have just got what was recommended After doing some research I'm rigging my citica and caenan with mono to (15lbs) braid and see how that goes... What about color ??
Color doesn't matter if you use a fluoro leader. For night fishing I switched to yellow Suffix 832 cuz I can clearly see the line on top of the water and know I did a good or bad cast right away. If I did a bad cast I just reel it back quickly and try again.

If I get lazy about putting a 20# or 30# fluoro leader I just tie the lure straight to the braid line. Have no perceived problems on my catching rate either way.
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

My names is James I own Smith Family Tackle, I have to agree that the Suffix 832 is hands down the best line you can get for fishing.
Now lets talk about that.
For trout I would use between 10lbs to 20lbs test, with a 20lbs or a 30lbs fluorocarbon leader.
redfish and black drum I would use 15-40 lbs ( depends on fish and location ie oyster beds or bull reds) 20 or 30 lbs fluorocarbon leader.
Flounder and the in between (the All around)- 30 lbs. and a 15- 30lbs fluorocarbon leader.
Most fishing reels have two spools, you can do a day and night color or have two different lbs test.
The lead is the easiest to change. if you need and more help or have more questions fell free to call me 1(888)400-6831 ext. 2
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

James , where is your shop located?
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

CoastieCulture wrote:James , where is your shop located?
We don't have a shop yet, I'm still working on the webs site. When we have all the company set up
We will open our store.
Call 1(888)400-6831
Bwalls

Post by Bwalls »

I fish 65lb braid with a 30lb floro leader for the marsh and 17lb floro for bass. 'If I'm flipping/pitching heavey cover I'll use 65lb braid'
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Throttlehead250 »

my inshore stuff all has 14#-17# braid depending on what the rod is used for, all lines are tipped with 20# fluorocarbon leader.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Tallgrass07 wrote:Adjust your line to what you're fishing for, or how you're fishing. I'm a minimalist and use the lightest line possible. Your drag is your friend.
X2

Depends where you are fishing.
My fresh water times puts me in the 4-8 pound range
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

If you go after fish with good eyesight (like trout) -- use fluorocarbon no more than 6lb. I tried catching them on 30lb braid -- difference is astonishing. After I switched to 6lb fluoro, I kind of stuck to it. Pulled many big fish on it (like 8lb striper, 10lb buffalo, etc) -- fighting fish becomes very interesting, you could fling very light lures and use very small (and cheap) reels.
When I go saltwater, I put braid back on, of course.

Actually, I caught about a month ago 28.5" red on 6lb line from the bank! (was just playing around next to the house). That guy made few quite impressive runs, highest moment was when he ran under nearby docks, I thought I'd lose him -- but luckily it did not occur to him to wrap around any beam and I managed to pull him out. Had to work on him like 5 minutes. CPR'ed