Bait caster tuning

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Bait caster tuning

Post by texnomad »

There is over 55 years of fishing on my resume but I am vexed on this new to me trouble. My Shimano Citica does not seem to be able to handle lighter baits in the 1/8 oz size. It works just fine with 3/8 oz or up on the line. 1/4 oz is very iffy depending on the wind direction. The line is normally a limp mono in the 8 to 10 pound range with a line weight matching UglyStik. I started with the old thumbuster type bait cast reels back in the 50’s and went to all spinning about thirty years ago. The Citica was purchased last year on a whim to revisit my old style of fishing with bait caster reels. I have tuned, cleaned, put in lighter lube and everything I can find out about to make the reel work better short of the ceramic bearings. The old reels did not handle the light baits either, thus is the reason I went to spinning reels back then. Is it normal for the modern reels to have trouble handling the really light lures?
EZ-E
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Bait caster tuning

Post by EZ-E »

it could be a couple things ...

rod is the first to come to mind ... the action & length of the rod might will make a difference of how a light bait cast.

the next is the settings on the reel ... how many brakes do you have out? how tight is the cast control knob.

it could also be how you are trying to cast the rod... not saying you dont know how but different action rods with different lure weights can effect casting style.

i would try a different rod action & length. after i put the reel on a different rod i would adjust the brakes & cast control knob.
Halffast

Post by Halffast »

I agree with EZ-E, it's most likely the rod. Just because a rod says it will throw a light bait doesn't mean that it will. Here's one that I've had pretty good luck with. http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... +933739032
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Do these comments about the rods mean that you are able to reliably cast 1/8 oz lures and lighter with your baitcaster reels in windy weather?
Halffast

Post by Halffast »

texnomad wrote:Do these comments about the rods mean that you are able to reliably cast 1/8 oz lures and lighter with your baitcaster reels in windy weather?
What I throw most often with this rod is a Mini Mirrodine that weighs 3/16, but I have used it with unweighted small soft plastics that I think come in at about 1/8. I can throw it in windy weather, but not directly into the wind unless it's just a ight breeze. I would think that less than 1/8 is going to be tough with any baitcaster in any conditions. HTH.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

For me so far the 4" paddle tail on a hook without any weight has been my limit to be reliable. That works fine in salt water. In freshwater the smaller crappie and white bass etc lures have been giving me fits even with 6 pound line and a very light action rod. Maybe for the really light stuff I need to stick with the spinning reels. Tossing 1/2 oz spoons down at Packery Channel the reel is a real winner for performance for casting and fish on. I had not used baitcasters in so long I really did not know what to expect for light lure performance. Thank you for your help. I certainly appreciate it.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

I have a Citica and usually use it for topwaters, but have used my lucky 1/4 oz spoon or a weedless weightless paddletail from time to time.

I have it spooled with 20# power pro. When I use the spoon or very light lures, I usually only have one of the brakes out...I then adjust the tension on the cast knob so it just barely allows the lure to drop when cast button is engaged.

The trick is remembering to adjust back when you switch lures...or else get ready for a backlash. :oops:
Also one of the reasons I usually bring several rods, one for each lure type I will probably use... :idea:
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

texnomad wrote:Do these comments about the rods mean that you are able to reliably cast 1/8 oz lures and lighter with your baitcaster reels in windy weather?
Are you talking Corpus windy, or Houston windy? because there is a 15mph difference between the two!!!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I am a full time RVer so it is not just two locations with wind. At this moment I am on the shores of Lake Amistad with 30 gusting to serious. In a couple of days I will be on Brantley Lake outside Carlsbad NM fighting more desert winds.
lptxguy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lptxguy »

The other night I was throwing a super fluke jr on a 1/16th oz short shank jig head with no problem. My rod was 6'5". I had 2 brakes on and set my cast control accordingly. If this doesn't help pop out your spool bearings set them in degreaser allow them to dry then re lube the bearings. Also get electronic parts cleaner spray out your worm gear and re lube. Good luck.
weapon11

Post by weapon11 »

M T Stringer wrote:I have a Citica and usually use it for topwaters, but have used my lucky 1/4 oz spoon or a weedless weightless paddletail from time to time.

I have it spooled with 20# power pro. When I use the spoon or very light lures, I usually only have one of the brakes out...I then adjust the tension on the cast knob so it just barely allows the lure to drop when cast button is engaged.

The trick is remembering to adjust back when you switch lures...or else get ready for a backlash. :oops:
Also one of the reasons I usually bring several rods, one for each lure type I will probably use... :idea:

Well said last year I got my first baitcaster and forgot to set it from live bait to weedless and got birds nest action. So I searched YouTube and got some info on tuning a bait caster it made a big difference I love my citica