What do you wear ?

gfmun

What do you wear ?

Post by gfmun »

I am really am enjoying kayaking and kayak fishing but now the water is getting too cold to go with with wading shoes and a bathing suit ( at least for me ). So, what do you wear?

Do you wear :

Waders ?
Hip boots ?
Just "Man-it-up ", and go with sandals and bare legs ?

thanks,
George

Re: What do you wear ?

Post by ... »

Last edited by ... on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Breathable waders with appropriate layers underneath ,reef/wading boots and a PFD
kayakcastaway
Location: pasadena, tx wilderness t140, perception pescador 12

Post by kayakcastaway »

cargo pants, long john shirt, t-shirt, sandals and cold feet ! oh, and my old hat!
joebeasley

Post by joebeasley »

Ascend FS10 Sink. Waterproof boots up to the calf, jeans, thermals if it gets cold, and a jacket. I usually don't get on the water if the temp is less than 50 degrees. :mrgreen:
gfmun

Post by gfmun »

Thanks guys,

I have fished in cold weather in Yanklandia when I lived there, but not in a kayak. I am mostly concerned about my feet and legs while getting in and out. I am not as agile as I once was and am usually in water nearly to my knees. I think I am going to try waders and go from there.

thanks,
George
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

Jedi wrote:Breathable waders with appropriate layers underneath ,reef/wading boots and a PFD
x2
bnowlin48

Post by bnowlin48 »

Try Knee High stockings (panty hose might get you locked up :lol: ) as your first layer. It works. I wear disposable gloves under my fingerless gloves. They work like a wet suit. (Old Bass fishing trick) You will probably need more than one pair if you fish hard. And remember, Hypothermia will kill you. Wear a PFD!!!!!!
cshields63

Post by cshields63 »

neoprene socks with waterproff boots. Water repellent skiing pants. Thermals under if necessary. Academy has the neoprene socks.
RiveRover

Post by RiveRover »

Synthetic Thermals (no cotton it will freeze you to death!) NRS Endurance jacket and pants, NRS Boundary boots( knee high). This comob will keep you dry and warm down to around 25 deg.
bboren
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by bboren »

The synthetic (silk) thermals are by far the best. I use a layer of those with my regular long sleeve fishing shirts, and pants. Then depending on how cold it is I usually wear my Immersion Research Paddling Jacket, and some waterproof pants, and really cool I use neoprene waders and one of my ski jackets, they are waterproof and very warm!. Any waterproof jacket with a hood on it is good so if needed you can turn away from the wind and warm up a bit. For shoes it is good to get you some good boots thick and tough, I wear mine all the time summer and winter. Summer I just wear neoprene socks with them to accommodate the size difference. Go 1-2 sizes bigger on the wading boots for the waders. I also have some cheap neoprene gloves that I wear while paddling to stay warm but when fishing I take them off. Good Luck and Stay warm.
Coastalobsession

Post by Coastalobsession »

Neo waders or Magellan zip off pants (if you get wet they dry fast) fishing shirt and wading jacket.
Badfish45

Post by Badfish45 »

Jedi wrote:Breathable waders with appropriate layers underneath ,reef/wading boots and a PFD
X2
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Rubber disposable gloves !! Thanks for the tip!
vic'sfly

Post by vic'sfly »

x4
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

I'm a rookie ! First day out today temp in 50's and very windy. I wore two pairs if regular tube socks with tennis shoes . Blue jeans , two shirts and a hoodie . Hat and face buff . I was cold as heck from water dripping on my pants from anchor and paddle . My shoes got wet as well. Wasn't to bad while in kayak do to all the paddling I was doing but once I got out it hit me and I could barley talk I was so cold . So I highly suggest waders or rain gear over your layers .
H2O Seeker

Post by H2O Seeker »

Stay away from anything cotton against your skin. Cotton in winter can kill you. Cotton absorbs moisture and doesn't wick it away from your skin. Breathable waders with appropriate layers. Layer up, wear a PFD always, and paddle until you can't hear banjos!
Last edited by H2O Seeker on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc S

Post by Doc S »

Me too...

I fish in New Braunfels. It's been in the 30s in the morning and I'm good with that and a light jacket I can shed when it warms up...

God Bless,
Doc S
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Doc S wrote:
Me too...

I fish in New Braunfels. It's been in the 30s in the morning and I'm good with that and a light jacket I can shed when it warms up...

God Bless,
Doc S
x6
Predator130

Post by Predator130 »

Found a pair of ski pants at the local thrift shop for $10. They are now mandatory for winter kayak trips since they keep me warm, dry and comfortable. A good pair of boots to keep the water and mud off while loading unloading and a decent windproof top with layers. I like to keep it so I can adjust as needed if I start the day at 20 and end up at 45, if I get too hot I just peel a layer or two off. Also the right head gear will keep you comfortable on a miserable day. A good balaclava is nice since you can adjust it from a cap to a whole face mask. Gloves also help. If you're paddling a long way from your launch site an extra set of everything in a dry bag isn't a bad idea.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Ski pants sound like a great idea! I found some rain overalls that have helped keep water off of me.
ATX 4x4

Post by ATX 4x4 »

Wow, CC, you woke this thread up from a deep sleep :D