Kemah or West Bay

HumbleYaker

Kemah or West Bay

Post by HumbleYaker »

Hi All, I just started kayak fishing in the Gulf this year and have been out a few times on the East Shore of Trinity and then this weekend was fishing the Mouth of the Trinity, near Jacks Point, having put in near Wallisville Lake. Thus far I have not caught a thing, not even a sympathy bite from a rat red. I've been fishing with gulp and shrimp and was throwing a mirrorlure some this weekend as well but to no avail.

I was thinking about heading down to Kemah to try that area or Galveston State Park kayak trails in West Bay or maybe off of Sportsmans Road - never fished any of these areas. Anyone have a suggestion as to what might be a better spot to catch a red before I sell my kayak on e-bay, or break down and find a guide??
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Re: Kemah or West Bay

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Don't go off and sell your kayak since you haven't caught anything yet. It can be very intimidating for people new to fishing the coast. It's still somewhat intimidating at times for me and I've been at it for about 3 years. but if you are throwing strictly arties is going to be tough until you learn how the tides and other weather conditions affect different spots throughout the bay. It's not all about the "spot" it's about how the conditions affect the "spot" The exact same location can differ between incoming or outgoing tides and/or be excellent fishing because it's protected from a SE wind but be muddier than you know what on a SW wind. A book that has helped me and most likely a ton of others is Ray Crawford's Wade and Kayak Fishing the Upper Texas Coast. He shares a ton of information as well as maps on how to get to these places, parking, and alot of times helps you out with the weather and tide conditions. Check the weather and see what the wind's doing and find a tide chart to see what the tide prediction will be (not always exact but fairly close most of the time) and then check out a map, ray's book, or use google earth to find places that look to be protected and/or have structure to fish when you get there. There's a ton of factors to consider when and where you fish but that should be enough to get you started. Good luck and keep at it!
Testacleeze

Post by Testacleeze »

Yup. That just about sums it up. Great advice Eric. :clap: :clap:
HumbleYaker

Post by HumbleYaker »

Thanks for the tips Mini-X, now off to find that book.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Not a problem, that's what this site is about is all us "crazy" people in our plastic/wooden tubs getting out on the water! I'm sure any of the kayak shops around houston have it. Try ACK or SWPS!
clear-lake-reds

Post by clear-lake-reds »

If you try west bay go down to 103rd street. There is hardly ever anybody there and I have never had any problems. If you look a little northeast there is a big reef out there that's normally where I fish and I haven't got skunked out there but once and that was this past Saturday good luck
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Ftu sells the book for $25. Picked one up last week.
eclipse504

Post by eclipse504 »

Oh I was in the same position as you. What I did was just tried different spots each time. Oh, and keep in mind the winter time doesnt produce as much as the summer time. At least for me, so its not just you that is not catching fish.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

I'm looking for a kayak partner 1-2 times a week . Would like to learn couple spite real good then learn some more. I'm in SE Houston area if anyone is interested .
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Spots will produce for some and not for others. IMO it is all about time/tides/and some luck.

Kemah/Clear Lake has not produced for me as good as West Bay during the day time, but at night time it did really good during hot summer and fall days.

West Bay is hit and miss regarding the spot. You can do Confederate, Gangs Bayou, Eckerd, Lake Como, Jamaica Beach, Sea Isle, and all the way towards San Luis and Christmas.

You need to give time to learn the spot and see the signals. Got out as much as you can and don't be afraid to skunk. Go back and you can have a ton of meat in one of those good days.
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

I agree with most on here, it takes time to learn a spot or area. You just need to learn the area that you are fishing and learn where the fish will be during tides and winds. I've been learning my spot for over two years now and I'm still learning how and when to fish that area.
I mainly throw live bait and have been pretty successful but am trying to learn how to throw plastics, top waters and plugs with no success but I know it's a new learning curve for me so I'll keep throwing them until I learn how to fish arties right. Fish aren't there just because there's water. You need to find out where they are.

You can always go during some of these guys open invites and learn from them as well.

Everybody has their reasons why they fish. Mine is to get away and enjoy the day on the water and catching fish is a plus.
Hope you get into fish soon!
slinginbugs

Post by slinginbugs »

West bay , mosquito island , the pass , confederate reef , Virginia point , Kemah , every marsh from tiki to Christmas Bay , and a little honey hole I found floating around . It's normally what you are using for lures or bait . Trinity should be on fire .
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

First be carful! Use kayak safety Kemah is a power boater spot don't get in there way. This map was given to me my another TKF member( if I remembered I would give him props) these are some areas.
1) fish the water columns.( top, below surface and bottom)
2) fish with the currant ( the fish will face the currant) pull the bait in same direction as current flow.
3) look for bait activity ( fish jumping or fleeing) and bait/trout slicks. Fish before there drift.
Plan of attack- fish the a drift rig at the bottom. Switch between a popping cork and a cigar lure (Walk the dog).
If that does not get you fish then you need to call me so we can fish together.

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/19/yqequpus.jpg[/img]
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

That map is from MPGYahoo... Manny... The GPS Coordinate Map Making Guru Hot Spot Chaser Lagoon Fighter ;-)
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

Yak'Razy wrote:That map is from MPGYahoo... Manny... The GPS Coordinate Map Making Guru Hot Spot Chaser Lagoon Fighter ;-)
Thanks MPGYahoo for the map, your a cool dude. I just am probably not teck smart enough but I don't get the rest
"The GPS Coordinate Map Making Guru Hot Spot Chaser Lagoon " can you brake it down for me Yak Razy
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

CoastieCulture wrote:I'm looking for a kayak partner 1-2 times a week . Would like to learn couple spite real good then learn some more. I'm in SE Houston area if anyone is interested .
I'm game Coastie but it might be awhile before I can join you (unless on Sat or Sun) I started a new job and I'm in training 5 days a week for 8 weeks before going on 4-10's