Pelican Castaway

DLT

Re: Pelican Castaway

Post by DLT »

For what its worth, it looks like Pelican has been listening to the critism. Pelican Castaways now come with a seal for the front hatch. I've had waves crash over mine and it stayed bone dry inside.

They also moved the swivel rod holder closer, which was another issue for alot of people.

It was unstable and wouldn't track, for the first hour or so. Then, I got used to it and it tracks pretty well now. I don't think I'd try to stand up in it, but then I don't see the need to either... Its actually a more comfortable boat (although not as stable) than the Mini-X I just bought for a buddy/spare yak...
Dang-o-Shoot

Post by Dang-o-Shoot »

I have one. It does what I need it to. I dont stand up in it. Kayaks are like trucks or any other toy we buy as men. I paddle a pelican castaway. I drive a 1/2 ton V6 dodge with manuel windows/locks. Some guys get a $40000 truck with all the bells and extras. I have no excessories for my truck other than my kayak rack with my pelican on it.
tsubeta04

Post by tsubeta04 »

I just bought mine and have taken it out now.

before I purchased it, I read tons of review and I mostly heard of people complaining of how water gets into it and the tracking.

I think that as previously said, make sure you don't take this for saltwater where waves are taller, cause you're probably gonna get flooded. I think this is more of a lake/pond kayak. As for the tracking, I think it just takes some getting used to. Personally, I love my first kayak because I didn't spend 800 bucks on it and it does the job. Next time I'll probably invest more in a better one.

It feels pretty stable while on it, I just don't know that I would stand up on it.
Imaexpat2

Post by Imaexpat2 »

Not the best Yak in the world as there are lot of better choices out there. But hey, if thats your budget and thats what it takes to get you out on the lake or pond then its not a bad way to jump in the game. I had one for about 3 years and did very well with it, making a lot of great catches along the way. Then I upgraded to a Prowler 13. It was like night and day, dont know why I waited so long to upgrade!!! Wish I would have started out with a better Yak in the first place. Just about anything though beats being stuck on the beach wishing you could be out on the water!
hunttexasfish

Post by hunttexasfish »

I have a pelican castaway 116 as well. I can not believe the negativity on this site, as if we don't have enough in the world already. Instead of talking about what people shouldn't, couldn't, would've, or didn't; why don't we offer some advise for those whom don't have the money to spend to get a fancy yak so that they could have a pleasurable time on the water and still catch fish. DON'T be greedy.

OK, enough of the soap box.

Does the front hatch leak? In my experience has leaked slightly, CHEAP and EASY way to fix it, Weather Stripping. Problem solved.

Is the yak stable? In my experience as a beginner it felt unstable, as I learned to use the boat, I found that if I kept my legs straight, back straight, and focused on paddling with my arms(and not by body); it is a VERY STABLE kayak. By the way I did take out by the causeway the other day when the winds started picking up and had no problems.

Does it track well? In my experience, refer the to my answer above on stability, the kayak will track very well. Another added hint is to make sure that your weight is well distributed, i.e. equipment, rods, tackle, cooler, or whatever else you may take with you.

Can you stand up in the kayak? Well I don't know, don't know why I would or have the need to. But I am curious now, and just might try it to say I have and help anyone else.

All in all, it sounds like maybe these are all things that would apply to any brand or type of kayak/boat you buy. Also, if there is anyone whom reads this thread and is new to kayaking and has a pelican or is thinking of buying a pelican, feel free to contact me and we can get together and I will show you a few things I have done to make my fishing experience better and enjoyable. I live in the Baytown area.
DubyaG

Post by DubyaG »

Don't listen to any of those guys who put down the Pelican kayaks.......... just tie small lifeboat onto the back in case you need it and everything will be fine. LOL Sorry, couldn't resist.
centexfish

Post by centexfish »

I have a Hobie and Pelican Castaway, the Castaway was my ticket for my first kayak, and cheap too, $250 on craigslist. I read on here about the cracks and leaks on the best and more expensive kayaks, there is no perfect kayak, besides the fish don't care if your in a kayak, boat or tube. The pic below is of my son in law doing quite well in the Lighthouse Trails, in the Castaway. He had no problem with stability, getting on or off, and did very well with all the swells the PB's were causing.
The way i see it, i got 2 kayaks from Craigslist for the price of one, and was able to introduce my son in law and a friend to kayak fishing, and now both of them are hooked on kayak fishing.. ISN'T THIS WHATS ALL ABOUT ANYWAY?
Attachments
Friend on the Guadalupe River, Seguin
Friend on the Guadalupe River, Seguin
Lighthouse Trails
Lighthouse Trails
Lighthouse Trails
Lighthouse Trails
Weird1

Post by Weird1 »

To answer the question of standing up in a castaway I will say if you can walk a tight rope you might be able to stand up in it, but to stand up in it and fish........ maybe if you are a professional tight rope walker.
I had one it was not for me. If standing and fishing are a top concern I recommend a different yak.
flyakker

Post by flyakker »

Thanks for all the opinions! I was looking at this kayak on CL, waiting to hear back from the guy, hopefully pick it up this week. This thread calmed the concerns with the purchase.
Texas_Officer85

Post by Texas_Officer85 »

txspeck wrote:Anyone ever used the Pelican Castaway Ram series for kayak fishing? I was eondering if oyu could stand up and fish on this particular model.

Thanks,

I have the Pelican Castaway 100 picked it up for $150 from Academy it is a great little kayak I am 5’9 and 210lbs. I have tried standing in this kayak many times and fall every time. Besides that I love this kayak it tracks well and not to slow. With that being said I also am a newbie and have only been on two kayaks. So I don’t have much experience
mad fisherman

Post by mad fisherman »

I'm 67 years old and am blessed to be able to own a Hobie pro angler 14 which I love. But I started out many years ago with a 10 foot wooden boat and home made paddle. Some of the best memories of my life came from having that old wooden boat. Get what you can afford now and get on the water,there will be lots of fun and learning in what ever you get.
chewy4x4

Post by chewy4x4 »

Wow y'all brought this thread out from four years deep. Awesome.