Spinning Reels with trigger casting

J-Man

Spinning Reels with trigger casting

Post by J-Man »

WARNING - Ignorant questions from a newbie fisherman here.

So it seems to me that the trigger type spinning reels that open the bail for faster, one handed casting are unquestionably better than the alternative old style spinning reels. So, why does it seem that they only make these types of reels in the cheaper models? Am I wrong here? What are the pro's and con's of each?

Thanks,

J-man
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

The trigger models are prone to breakage. When I used to work for Academy, I saw quite a few trigger models coming in for repairs and the trigger mechanism was always broke in a short time after the owner bought the cheap reel. The weak link in the chain so to speak.
DLopez

Post by DLopez »

I don't like those type of spinning reel. At first that seems like a reallly nice, convenient "feature", as long as you're not catching anything, just throwing your lure out there. But the second you need to set the hook, if that spool needs to spin backwards before hitting the 'stop', then good luck with that.

I had an older Shimano that did that, and quickly decided that was a worthless gimmick. It hurts, not helps you catch fish.
Northsider
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Northsider »

A few years back I bought a Shakespear combo and it had that feature, the line would get hung up on the very trigger that was supposed to make it easier to cast. So I took the screw that held the trigger on and threw it in the trash. Its not worth the headaches in my opinion.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

I had 1 and trigger's a pain, and like previously stated it broke :x :)
EastTexas

Post by EastTexas »

I have a Shimano Syncopate 2000FA spinning reel & the triger works great after years of use. The line does from time to time wrap around the trigger. As it happens on bail arm of my new Shimano Sonora 2500FA spinning reel.

The reason for this is 10# BBG is filled to the rim & a light lure and a little wind...
luna nueva
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by luna nueva »

I had a couple cheap Shimano TX models I got for $7 each on clearance once. I took those things off both of them. I dont use spinners much and the line would catch on those triggers making spinning reel casting even more of a pain.
J-Man

Post by J-Man »

I LOVE those triggers. I will outcast (in # of casts per hour) anybody who uses a spinning rod and doesn't use one. They are just so much more efficient than the spinning reels without them. What I hate is that there doesn't seem to be any of the better reels that are built with them.
Tomagus
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Tomagus »

The Shimano Spirex has the "quick-fire" feature
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 20333&rid=
Even at that price you can't go wrong with a Shimano
Personally I prefer the instant stop on the antireverse rather the travel back to the top of spool
HondoPatrick

Post by HondoPatrick »

I have one of the Shimano Spirex reels and I absolutely love the trigger as casting is very easy. The problem is the self centering bail "feature" is also included on that reel... terrible for hooksets.
J-Man

Post by J-Man »

What is a self centering bail?

I just pulled the trigger (get the pun?) on this model.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I'd love your opinions on it.

Thanks,

J-man
EastTexas

Post by EastTexas »

A little advice on Spinning Reels with triggers; keep your hand on the handle or the fish want be the only thing that gets away...

Other than that, triggers have a lot of great things going for them.

I decided to go with a Sonora 2500FA spinning reel (no trigger). Only time will tell how well it holds up...
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Trigger

Post by JimD »

Being an old East Texas Boy I have always thrown a bait casting reel till my yankee buddy laid a whipping on me one time night fishing at the pass.

The trigger is a nice simple set up that works for beginners that are not used to throwing a spinning reel. I still have 3 or 4 of them. used them at the farm all last week on bass.

For next spring and trophy trout I bought one of the 80 dollar non trigger shimanos reels so I will see if I can learn to throw it as well as I can the cheap ones. My spirex finally died after 4 years with trigger and I cannot fig out how to fix it but it was in the return on the trigger set that started sticking for what it is worth. :)

I still throw cheap ones down under the lights for the small baits and weightless presentations that work so well.

Now wade fishing I carry a bait caster and a spinning reel for different presentations. Look at Peeshnuck's wading back pack to see how he keeps his spare rod behind his shoulder and out of the water like you get with most wading belts.
ChasingNemo

Post by ChasingNemo »

I have not been able to use braided line on a trigger type spinning reel. The slicker line slips off the "firing pin" before my cast is complete.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

CN

Post by JimD »

You could have the spool too full for braid. I had that problem at one time. My Yankee buddy likes one of the small size mono's with very little stretch as compared to big game.

I carry a spool of steel type mono and 20 sufix but still like bait casting unless there is a reason for using the spinning reel.
Rafterman

Post by Rafterman »

Never really liked them. I like to be able to control my own cast and found that the triggers adversely effected my casting distance.
NARCEDIVER

Post by NARCEDIVER »

This is what i have been using for years. i have three of them and have never had any problems with them in fresh or salt. Thwey have them at acedemy for 10$. i put 10# test on them. Never any problems....love them!!!!!! Just be sure to clean them out after each use.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... ng/IX.html
Dom

Post by Dom »

I've owned a few with the trigger and they all broke. :( Won't buy another.
Daniel09

Post by Daniel09 »

DLopez wrote:I don't like those type of spinning reel. At first that seems like a reallly nice, convenient "feature", as long as you're not catching anything, just throwing your lure out there. But the second you need to set the hook, if that spool needs to spin backwards before hitting the 'stop', then good luck with that.

I had an older Shimano that did that, and quickly decided that was a worthless gimmick. It hurts, not helps you catch fish.
that sis what i think of the one i have you have to be holding the handle tight for it not to spin back.
but its an ultra light now lol
4PopCropp

Re: Spinning Reels with trigger casting

Post by 4PopCropp »

Sorry for digging this up, but it's an interesting discussion. I would like to pass along my experience with the Spirex and Quickfire trigger.

I've had a Shimano Spirex with trigger for 20 years. I just cleaned it and de-greased it for the first time ever a couple weeks ago. It has been dropped in the water, rolled around in the back of. Pickup, stored in a dirty garage during 100 deg, humid Houston summers. It's been fished on all day river trips, lakes and even a little salt water. So when I hear people saying the triggers don't hold up, I sort of scratch my head. Mine sure has held up. Casts like a dream so I can't imagine spending money on a pricier reel and not even getting the trigger. I've used other models and they are clumsier, slower to use. I use the Spirex every chance I can.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Spinning Reels with trigger casting

Post by texnomad »

I take he trigger off my Shimanos. What I like is the indexing of the pickup to where my short stubby finger can reach the line easily for casting. I have not had any trouble with the indexing part of either the Syncopate or Spirex during my many years of using them. I take the trigger lever off and cut off the mounting post.