Good Kayak Haulers

Outland

Good Kayak Haulers

Post by Outland »

I just bought my first fishing kayak (Wilderness 135 Ride) but on they way home the power steering pump on my 1997 Jeep ZJ (AKA Nickle & Dime). Plus it has 6.5 " of lift and sits on 33's so needless to say I nearly ended up under my new kayak while trying to get it off the roof rack...Well you get the point that Old Nickle & Dime is not very pratical for my new hobby and I was wondering what mode of transportation most of you folks are using to haul your yaks on ?
hickoxp

Re: Good Kayak Haulers

Post by hickoxp »

Try and gorilla an 87 pound boat that high is an effort. You might be better off with a trailer. There are side loader systems that may help you if you need to stay on the roof. Thule Hullavator comes to mind.

I have the invisa-rack on my dodge pickup, so my 135 is 7 foot plus off the ground. I am a brute so I am ok with the wrestling match. There will be a second 135 on there soon, So 2x 135s on top, the tarpon and necky slung underneath.
Loaded_Truck.JPG
Loaded_Truck.JPG (41.15 KiB) Viewed 11908 times
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I would have to say the most popular vehicle by far is a pickup truck. Add a bed extender (which is cheap) and you have one of the easiest kayak load/unload situations. If you don't want to change vehicles a trailer is a real nice option. The biggest downside to a trailer (for some of us) is the space to store it. If that's not a problem you have lots of options.

Hey hickoxp, you have gone from no boats to 4 boats in just a few months you may need to seek counseling

Good luck
Fargo
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

Fargo wrote:I would have to say the most popular vehicle by far is a pickup truck. Add a bed extender (which is cheap) and you have one of the easiest kayak load/unload situations. If you don't want to change vehicles a trailer is a real nice option. The biggest downside to a trailer (for some of us) is the space to store it. If that's not a problem you have lots of options.

Hey hickoxp, you have gone from no boats to 4 boats in just a few months you may need to seek counseling

Good luck
Fargo
I try not do anything half-assed. Built dry boxes, Stakeout Poles, Karts, Roll around storage rack (in-process) for 4 boats. Everything is subject to revision so I am never truly finished. My wife made a deal with me if I can lose 90 pounds by Sept 2013 I can get a Necky Vector 14. So off to the Gym 3 mornings a week at 4:45 am for an hour of treadmill and elliptical (hate that damn machine) and weights. Looking to get back my strength and dead lift 450lbs, 300lbs is all I can do now at the tender age of 49. What I really would like to do is figure this thing you call fishing. I cannot buy a hooked fish.
Outland

Post by Outland »

Thamks for the info guys... I was drinkin beer in the driveway with a buddy of mine that works on Volvo's and he suggested an used Volvo XC70 wagon. So after doing a bit of research it looks like Old Nickle & Dime will be up for sale once I fix the power stearing leak.
imechura

Post by imechura »

Hi there.

A couple months back I was in the same position as you. I bought a nice kayak and was stuck between putting it on my beat up Honda civic or my wife's new Acura MDX. Either choice would surely end up in disaster. I ended up with a used 97 cherokee from craigslist. I tend to be handy with vehicle repair so I got one that had electrical problems for very little money and fixed it within a few days. I chose this specific car because it has a very long roof, standard roof rack and has a very low roof compared to modern SUVs. Other cars that have the same attributes are the Volvo station wagon and the Subaru outback. My past experience with Volvos has been that parts or repair prices are astronomical. I have no experience with the suburus but they are hard to find used, cheap, however several of my friends swear by them.

There are a few trailers made specifically for hauling kayaks but they cost more than a 90s models cherokee can be had for.

If you do end up buying an old cherokee and need some help with repairs give me a shout because I spent some time researching the topic.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

I'm considering purchasing a bed extender in the near future. Anyone have a favorite style or brand?
SpeckledTex

Post by SpeckledTex »

Hick, I am with you... Figuring this fishing thing out is tough.. I have a trailer... Easy to load and carry gear, however, in tight spots or soft ground it can be a challenge. You better be good at backing (I am), and still I am lightly considering an extension 85$. If you figure this fishing thing out, give me a leg up... I have room for two yaks if you need a ride.. ( open to all except the scum that stole a Malibu yak and trailer out of the valley.)....
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

SpeckledTex wrote:Hick, I am with you... Figuring this fishing thing out is tough.. I have a trailer... Easy to load and carry gear, however, in tight spots or soft ground it can be a challenge. You better be good at backing (I am), and still I am lightly considering an extension 85$. If you figure this fishing thing out, give me a leg up... I have room for two yaks if you need a ride.. ( open to all except the scum that stole a Malibu yak and trailer out of the valley.)....

I have no use for thieves. Break their damn fingers with a hammer.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Got the truck bed extender today @ HArbor Freights on sale for $ 50.00 Took couple of minutes to set it up.
Attachments
image.jpg
Doc S

Post by Doc S »

Might I suggest a folding trailer from Harbor Freight.

They're about $300 and are light, so you can pull behind just about anything.
They also fold in half and can be wheeled into your garage for storage...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

God Bless,
Doc S
Predator130

Post by Predator130 »

Found an old boat trailer on Craigslist for $100, another $100 in materials and it will hold 8 boats.
Attachments
kayaktrailer.jpg
Corona_kayaker

Post by Corona_kayaker »

I load mine on top of the H3, when I initially load up it's no problem. At the end of the day, it's a pain to load up. I am looking to build a Harbor Freight trailer. I even thought of loading it up on my Yaris..

Ideally I want a Jeep with a trailer..
Attachments
image.jpg
Corona_kayaker

Post by Corona_kayaker »

Doesn't help either that I am short and usually have to stand on the tires to strap everything down..
Vlad_989

Post by Vlad_989 »

I've got a single cab truck with an 8 foot bed. I dont use an extender just leave the tailgate down and strap down the kayak. Easy to load, the hard part is getting it up and down the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment.
DIY

Post by DIY »

Predator130 wrote:Found an old boat trailer on Craigslist for $100, another $100 in materials and it will hold 8 boats.
Awesome deal and post!
JimM

Post by JimM »

I use my Chrysler mini van for my Mini X. Since the wife and I are empty nesters now, only the 2 front seats remain in the van. This allows us to fit all 3 of our kayaks, when necessary. When it's just my Mini X, it fits with the tailgate closed.
Andreujc

Post by Andreujc »

Nothing like a Truck in my opinion. I cannot see my self doing what I do without a truck, only thing I can wish now is a full size but Im the happiest dude with my Frontier. I can load up to 4 kayak on the Yakima Outdoorsman and still have the bed available for all the crap. When the bed is full, add a basket for the largest cooler and you are set to go. Rods travel on the end of the crossbars completely out of the way. I can load and off load the kayaks in less than 5 minutes on the Rack. This past weekend during LSKs we moved to three different locations throughout the day and it was a breeze to load and offload the yaks.....

Let us know if we can help you at ACK.

Here is a pic of my truck with two tridents 13 and tarpon 100 on the rack.

J. Carlos Andreu
Attachments
10173714_10154046097375252_8937844801592217287_n.jpg