6'' OF WATER

JAY P.

6'' OF WATER

Post by JAY P. »

I MAINLY WANT TO FISH SOME BAY FLATS THAT HAVE TAILING REDS IN ABOUT 6" OF WATER. We usually get the bay boat close then wade fish in. Will the yak drag bottom or float with a 185lb person. Lets narrow it down to an ocean kayak 13 or 15 and a T140. In this situation do I need a wider yak to stay afloat better?
cut bait

Post by cut bait »

Almost any kayak over 12 or 14 feet will draw less than 5" of water. Carrying a Kayak on the Bay Boat is a great way to fish remote back lakes that have soft bottoms and are difficult to wade. Of the kayaks you mentioned the Tarpon would be choice.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The T140 probably wins among those you mentioned due to the flatter bottom. You might want to look at the new Ride. It drafts less than the T140.
fowlwaters

Post by fowlwaters »

I have a T-140 and fish the flats alot in knee deep or less but I use the yak to get there and then wade and use the yak to relocate. The new ride will be my next yak for the flats.
TrailShoe

Yaks

Post by TrailShoe »

Yaks float because total weight is less that weight of water they displace. The P15 and T14 have more surface area exposed to water, hence they can float higher, and go into shallower water. Of course it depends on how much additional weight that is added. 185 lbs of human, 8 -12 lbs of fishing gear (including bait), 14-16 lbs of beer, cokes, water, etc. Remember you can and will reduce the baits and liquids consumed over time.
You should go to a dealer near you and ask for a demonstration. Not just in a pool if you can. Go to a bay or river and stand in the water. Get in and get out. Float and paddle around. You will have a much clearer picture.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

You are partially correct Trailshoe. However, it is all about the total displacement. A "V" bottom 15' does not draft as shallow as a flat bottom boat. Also a short wide boat can float in less water than a long narrow boat. Length is only one part of the three main figures in the equation.

The reason the Ride at 13.5' drafts less than the 14' Tarpon is b/c it is not only much wider 32" vs 28", it becomes wider closer to the bow and maintains that width further to the stern. Basically it carries more volume throughout its length.

The reason a T140 drafts less than a Prowler is due to the flatter hull on the Tarpon vs the more "V" shaped Prowler.

Of course we are not talking about huge differences, but when you are talking about inches of water it could mean the difference between staying in your yak or slugging across a mud flat.
Backwater Drifter
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Backwater Drifter »

I use an OK Drifter it is cheaper then all of them and you can get super shallow with it. I use it alot for fishing in shallow water. Now someone is going to say it is wet or that a standard create does not fit in the back of it. :roll: But fishing in Six inches of water will not be a problem with any the yak you mentioned.

Note: Now I am not affiliated with OK. I am just someone who does not like to complicate things. :wink: :) :) 8) 8)
c-dawg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by c-dawg »

I just know that on several occasions when I was in my T-140, I was wishing for the Ride. The Ride will float noticably more shallow.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

I've got a Tarpon and a P15....I like the Prowler the best. That flat bottom on the Tarpons makes them float shallower, but it also creates drag that slows you down where the V hull on the P15 doesn't. It's a trade off.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Ok, question. In a flatter bottom yak that floats shallower , are you more subject to getting blown around by the wind? It is going to track (without a rudder) less straight than a V bottom right?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

All else being equal...probably. However there are so many other variables you're dealing with. The length of the boat in the water, the height of the boat above the water, the design of the bow and stern, the way the boat is loaded, etc, etc.
stepnez

Post by stepnez »

I weigh more than you and own a T-140 and never had a problem in shallow water. I fish LHL,B&R,Shamrock, and Packery Flats. I carry a crate,4 rods,
fish bag with ice, and drinking water. I also find this Kayak a nice paddle back to the truck.