New to the site. What can I stand up in to stretch.

JAY P.

New to the site. What can I stand up in to stretch.

Post by JAY P. »

Investigating the world of Kayaking. I am looking to buy a yak, but I need to stand up and stretch my bones every now and then. I am 6'1" and weight 185. I keep seeing the T160 all over the classifieds. Is this a yak I can stand up in, or is there something better. I would be fishing the beach, bays and small lakes. Any info is appreciated. Thank you. :D
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Your weight leaves you a lot of options. Try a bunch of them and find out which ones you like. You'll have no problem stretching your legs out in the Malibus, but I'm sure there are others that will fit the bill as well. Go with a high back seat.
fowlwaters

Post by fowlwaters »

Check out the New Ride very stable and it has good glide will be my next yak.
Hookem
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Hookem »

Look into to hurricane Kayaks, super fast and stable also I have the pheonix 140 and love it!
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

You may want to take a look at the Cobra Fish N Dive, they are very stable at 36" wide and will hold a ton of weight. It is a great boat for the surf and small lakes and is a great platform for standing to sight cast. If you are interested contact me and we can talk about a price.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Cyber Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Cyber Yak »

You really got to have some talent to stand on a Tarpon 160i . . .

i don't :? :( :cry: ( still trying )

But guess what, I could stand up on the eXtreme, even more on my X-Factor.

:D :D :D
TrailShoe

Standing in Yak

Post by TrailShoe »

I have stood in Prowler 13, 15, and WS Tarpon 14. Just did it to see if it could be done and just what it would take to tip. All three were in river. All three have good stability. I can get into forward hatch on all three BTB also. I have yet to try and stand in one BTB. I would think it is possible, but I haven't tried it or seen it done.
Tarpon 160i is a long slender boat similiar to a OK P15. I haven't ever been in one to try.
Most of the time Kayaking you will have the opportunity to:
1) Paddle to shallow water step out and stretch.
2) Lean back in yak and stretch.
3) Jump into water swim around and practice re-entry to kayak. (Lots of stretching)
TS
gyoung
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gyoung »

I've stood in my Cobra Marauder... one suggestion..

don't let the standing though be your final sell point, you should consider the application (lakes, rivers, bays, surf and BTB). All the forementioned environments should play a factor in the yak you choose, this is NO all purpose kayak's some are more suited to the environmental conditions you are venturing into (I.E. a excellent bay/lake yak will not be the very best surf zone yak.. not that you couldn't take thier.. but again where are you fishing primarily?).

FnD is probably the most stable boat (alway's has been), but since your planning to stand I doubt we are talking surf and BTB. FnD may be stable but with the width you will sacrafice some speed... you may go for a longer narrower boat, most of the new designs have plenty stability and adequate speed so you will here this a lot on this site......

try b 4 u buy: I encourage you to contact Chris above at southwest paddle sports (or a kayak shop near you like FTU) and get some consultation. Southwest paddle Sports will let you rent 2-3 for testing, you should consider this before your purchase. Everyone has an opinion on this site and some yak's are better than other (personal preference alway's rules though)... again, try before you buy.

You can alway's go for a faster narrower yak and purchase some stabilizers (or make your own). Scotty now sells stabalizers and thier have been numerous posts on this site about stabilizer used for standing/sight casting. My opinion on standing is this... I don't care what yak you have the waves still keep coming and in my personal experience 20-30 minutes of standing will work out your legs :)
Cyber Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Cyber Yak »

AMEN, gyoung.

:D :D :D
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

You're a stand up guy...

Post by TKFStubb »

Believe me when I say that you can stand in ANY kayak. As you gain prficiency, your balance will improve and standing, stretching, even sleeping becomes possible. Don't let that be your final decisison point. When you are 'green', the only ones you might feel comfortable standing in will NOT be your favorites for fishing later on. You can always stand up in shallow water or stretch you legs on shore periodically. 8)
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

Well said GYOUNG and STUBBS.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
JAY P.

thanks

Post by JAY P. »

Thanks for all the info. on kayaking. I have been reading all the post that I can. I have almost narrowed it down to the malibu x factor, Ocean yak and the T140. Still reading to gain insite.